Good or bad caterpillars?

enoughcliches(Tropical)January 15, 2007

I recently found the culprits that have been munching holes in my hibiscus plants.

The first one is a slender, green caterpillar shown below.

The second is a small, white-ish caterpillar (I think) with a black head. I can't post any pictures of this one yet because I just found it tonight. Not only is it chewing up the younger leaves but also rolling up the edges with webbing.

Are these 'good' or 'bad' caterpillars? Should I remove them immediately or let nature take its course and balance them out with predators?

Image link:

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I'd be tempted to remove them by hand and toss them where birds are likely to find them.

Bookmark   January 15, 2007 at 4:49PM
enoughcliches(Tropical)

Me too, hahaa. I don't mind a few raggedy leaves, but I'm just worried that the population of 'bad' caterpillars will somehow go out of control and start swarming my poor plants.

Bookmark   January 15, 2007 at 9:06PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

That could be any one of about one hundred moth larva that do chew on leaves and these can be controlled in the early stages of life, if dunking them is too much, (first three weeks) with sprays of Bacillus thurigiensis - Kurstaki. After that time Neem Oil sprays or pyrethrin dusts keeping in mind that both of these are broad spectrum poisons and should only be used as a laste resort.

Bookmark   January 16, 2007 at 7:15AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Actually, Bacillus should probably be used only when the caterpillar population threatens the plant (or crop). Excess use of this bacterium threatens non target larvae of Lepidoperans.

If merely a few caterpillars are present, they could be bird food by the time someone mixed up a batch of Bt-K and applied it.

Bookmark   January 16, 2007 at 8:52AM
More Discussions
Aphid central.... At my wit's end...
Every single over-wintering pepper I have is inundated...
theripetomatofarm
Magnolia champaca- loosening of the leaves
As shown in the picture this Magnolia champaca planted...
b42anuradha
Will these onions be any good?
I planted onions last year and the grass got in them...
beefarmer61
coleus crisis -- leafhopper/ weevil/ cyclamen mites combo?
I have been having a lot of trouble with my coleus...
brown_panda
ID please
Found a bunch of these crawling around my rain barrel....
woohooman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™