tomatoes staked

borderokie(7)June 23, 2013

WOO! HOO! all my tomatoes are staked and tied.(And almost all mulched) Some of them were planted late and were just now needing it pretty bad. I do not know what that darn T-post driver weighs but its a lu-lu. 82 this year. The most I have ever planted. If I don't get tomatoes to can this year I quit. (Well probably not. I'm too hard headed to quit). someone on the harvest forum said they thought you get better air circulation on post versus cages. Anyone think it makes any difference.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
slowpoke_gardener

Sheila, I only met you one time, but you sure did not look 82.

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 11:33PM
borderokie(7)

I hide my age well Larry!!

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 11:37PM
slowpoke_gardener

I just had to yank your chain a little. If your garden looks as well as you do it will be stopping traffic on the highway.

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 11:49PM
borderokie(7)

lol lol lol from one exaggeration to another Larry. Thanks for makin me smile!!!

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 11:59PM
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

I cannot compare staked tomatoes to caged ones because I've always grown them caged. There have been a couple of years I've let some sprawl because I was too busy and didn't finish caging them, and I had more trouble with the fruit rotting on the ground or with insects crawling onto the plants from the mulch. I think if the caged plants are well-spaced they get good air circulation, but our garden is in a rural area where there is not much around them to block the wind. People who live in an urban or suburban area with lots of buildings and wooden stockade fences that block wind might have more issues with poor air circulation than us rural folks have.

I hope you get plenty of tomatoes to can, Sheila. I am planning on making pickles today and then hope to can the first batch of tomatoes tomorrow. I also have to harvest the Silver Queen corn today. We should have done it yesterday but were too busy. Everything is ready to harvest all at the same time this year and it has become difficult to get all the harvesting and food preservation done in a timely manner for the last 7-10 days. I was thinking that it seems too early to be as far behind as I am!

Dawn

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 3:29AM
borderokie(7)

I am jealous!! Wish we had tomatoes. Am getting a little squash and looks like the first cuke will be ready soon. Dad does the corn he has more space than I do. He usually tries to grow enough to kill me putting it up. I'm sure it will be ready soon. Not complaining though! We love it in the freezer. We just will not eat it out of a can. The rest of the world does not know what they are missing!

This post was edited by borderokie on Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 8:04

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 6:28AM
More Discussions
Oklahoma Kiwi plant recommendations.
I have the OSU handouts, and have done some research,...
Sheik Paladin
Aloe Vera: free to good home
I have offered free plants on Edmond Freecycle before,...
c1nicolei
We're Having All Four Seasons of Weather This Week!
This is your warning that this week's weather is going...
Okiedawn OK Zone 7
Onion question...
I haven't been on here in awhile....I couldn't sign...
ilovetoplant
How can I add photos to my posts?
I know many of you do this....I have tried to find...
merryheart
Sponsored Products
Emerson Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$199.00 | Bellacor
Round Lantern Path Light by Kichler
$168.00 | Lumens
Glass and Metal Path Light by Kichler
$155.00 | Lumens
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Fireside Patio Mats Rugs Mossy Teal Green 6 ft. x 9 ft.
$54.99 | Home Depot
Green Die-Cast Aluminum Landscape Path Light
$59.99 | Lamps Plus
Cherry Tomato Narrow Zig Zag Apothecary Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™