Help with Peony Selection

marcindy(z5b, Indianapolis, IN)August 9, 2007

I am going to do a trade with someone on the GW forum, he offers the following list of peonies from which to choose three. I need your help and opinions about which ones to choose. I would prefer some that won't get really big, but other than that I am open to suggestions. The lists is:

Adolphe Rousseau

Ann Cousins

Duchess de Nemours

Edulis Superba

Festiva Maxima

Mary E Nicholls

Nick Shaylor

Mrs. Franklin D. Roosevelt

When you select one over the other, could you also let me know why, what your reasons are? That would help a lot. Thanks a lot in advance.

Marc

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rian(7va)

I have already bored people in this forum with all the reasons I think festiva maxima is the best choice of all herbaceous peonies. You could probably use the search function to find discussions of the various cultivars, if you need to make your decision in a hurry.

Bookmark   August 10, 2007 at 10:00AM
amulet(7b NC)

Since these are all herbaceous lactiflora peonies, they will all be about the same size, around 3 feet high. The clump will grow wider over the years, but can be divided.

I guess it depends on what color flower you are looking for. You can look up pictures for these peonies at Carsten's Peony web site. Go to "The Peony Database" in the middle of the page, and click on the letters to find the name of the peony you want to look up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carsten Burkhardt's Web Project Paeonia

Bookmark   August 10, 2007 at 10:46AM
brandyray(Coastal NC/8a)

You can also look them up at helpmefind.com
We had Festiva Maxima when I was growing up and it was a gorgeous peony. I think the pink one we had was Sarah Bernhardt- also a beauty if you like pink. I can't help w/ the others, but Duchess de Nemours is one in a collection I am considering ordering-it is supposed to do well in the South. Good luck! Brandy

Bookmark   August 12, 2007 at 11:38PM
flowergirl70ks

I would be very careful about trading. I fell for this about 3 years ago. Dug this man a great tree peony for only freight. Never heard from him again. the address was Tulsa, Ok.

Bookmark   August 19, 2007 at 5:04PM
More Discussions
Double Pink Fernleaf
I have seen the most beautiful pink double fernleaf,...
KarenPA_6b
Sinking peonies
Most of my peonies are in raised beds, which over the...
calistoga_al
Peony Molly the Witch
Hello - I planted a super root 2 years ago. Last year...
furbank
Peonie won't bloom
My mom dug up an old white peonie at an old home site...
Derby42 zone 6
New to peonies and have some questions!
I'd like to add some peonies to my garden this year...
DandyLioness (CA 9, SZ 14)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™