Dviding and transplanting

nebrjean1027August 21, 2005

I am dividing a clump of peonies. I FINALLY got a good chunk of it dug up and am now trying to divid and transplant it. I got a number of cuttings with 2-5 eyes - I want 5 plants planted 2' apart. Does this sound all right? I have found that a number of the fleshy roots and some around the crown have hollowed out areas. Can this be borers? Or is it normal? Will it hurt anything to plant them this way? Or should I do anything special? OR should I just wait until spring and buy some more??????

Any help or suggestions here would be greatly appreciated.

Jean 4BNebraska

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur01

Fall is the best time for planting buy then. The hollowed crown could be from many things but most older peonies when divided have a woody portion that is sometimes hollowed out. Cut out, you might have to use a small saw the hollow places if posible. Allow to air dry to prevent mold and fungi from entering the root before planting.

Think of what you want to have. Two feet apart will form a hedge after a time. Good air circulation will prevent many problems from occuring.

Bookmark   August 22, 2005 at 12:16AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

Don't worry about the hollow spots, but do think about the spacing as at two feet you well could be creating a mildew problem in the years to come. Al

Bookmark   August 22, 2005 at 9:47AM
More Discussions
Springhill Kirinmaru Peony
I just received Kirinmaru Peony from Springhill. The...
KarenPA_6b
walmart peonies Sorbet and Emile Debatene
Found sorbet and Emile Debatene at Walmart yesterday...
raptor1
Itoh fertility
I know that Itoh peonies can't bear viable seeds, but...
pompomoranda
Sinking peonies
Most of my peonies are in raised beds, which over the...
calistoga_al
planting bareroot peonies in Jan
Received my order from Charmarron Gardens a couple...
raptor1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™