Ti Plant- Mites? ?

gardenlady48(z5 IL)January 10, 2012

this Ti plant was brought indoors this past fall. As usual I sprayed all plants w/fungicide before bringing in. This particular Ti plant has continued to get 'webs', and what appears to be 'mildew' on the leaves...I sprayed again...and yet I still notice this problem. Should I dispose of the plant? Cut it back? continue to spray?? Your input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I certainly see evidence of spider mites, but don't know what you were spraying a fungicide for. What did this 'mildew' look like?

Anyway, the spider mite infestation appears to be significant. Without seeing more of the plant, we cannot suggest that you dispose of it. Sometimes, if it appears that the mites are winning the battle, that is the best thing to do. In most instances, however, other measures will work. Cutting the plant back severely and beginning a routine of rinsing, washing, and spraying with plain water, insecticidal soap, rubbing alcohol solutions, and all of the above can do the trick.

Fungicides are for specific fungal disorders, not for spider mites.

More pictures would be helpful.

Bookmark   January 10, 2012 at 9:44PM
gardenlady48(z5 IL)

OOPS! I told you wrong, I was using a rose & flower insect killer by Ortho, says it also kills houseplant insects on contact and continues!??? So....maybe I need to cut it way back??

Bookmark   January 10, 2012 at 10:12PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I haven't been able to (quickly) find the label of your product to see if spider mites are even listed. If you are using the product you've stated, the active ingredient is acetamiprid....which is generally never recommended for the control of spider mites. As a matter of fact, it can make them worse, since it kills beneficial insects while not doing much to the mites (which are not insects) at all.

So, in effect, all of your spraying has been for naught. I'd probably try the soap and water washes, plain water sprays, etc.

Bookmark   January 11, 2012 at 4:38PM
gardenlady48(z5 IL)

nope, the active ingredient in the product I used is : B-cyfluthrin & ,imadaccloprid.......and yes the label says it kills mites. So in spite of my spraying possibly being al for 'naught'...I just went ahead and wacked the top growth off and disposed.....it looked terrible anyway...

Bookmark   January 11, 2012 at 5:20PM
More Discussions
Help for my Privet
I have two large privets outside on my Patio, (i live...
estesdv
Brush cerry transplant shock HELP!
just bought this brush cherry,3 days after I got it...
halocline
Getting rid of soil nematodes
Dear veggie lovers: This is my first season growing...
diane_zn7a_albqnm_5500ft
A rabbit! Argh!
Of all the problems I expected in a suburban dessert,...
deserthawk
Tomato disease
My tomato is under attack. It looks like both insects...
garf_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™