Mold??

mommanature(z5)August 4, 2009

I have some kind of mold on all my peonies. The spent blooms look rotted and there's a black and white mold on the leaves. We've had a very wet summer in Western New York and I'm thinking that's the cause. Should I cut them all the way back?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

Yes I am sure the constant wet foliage in the warm summer temperatures have contributed to your mold problem. The mold is producing spores which is or will infect more and more of your garden. Plants vary in their resistance to the growth of mold so some plants will be OK. If your peonies are mostly consumed with the mold I would go ahead and cut them down, removing all cut material to the trash to be hauled away. They will come back next year though not with the usual vigor because you will be removing the foliage that is normally feeding the roots through the summer. Peony roots contain large storage capacity so your plants will be OK next year. After cutting down the peonies I would spray the ground well with a Bordeaux formula to try and prevent the spores from living over to next years growth. Al

Bookmark   August 6, 2009 at 10:18AM
More Discussions
Mulching peonies with limestone chips
Does anyone mulch their peonies with limestone chips...
enith
planting bareroot peonies in Jan
Received my order from Charmarron Gardens a couple...
raptor1
Adelman's Itoh Offerings for 2015
Has anyone seen Adelman's new peony catalog yet? They...
lizbest1
dividing peonies
We are having a mild, dry January. Would it be a bad...
kAli6275
light requirements for Sorbet Peonies
Just ordered 4 from Michigan Bulb and the planting...
420benz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™