Where should I move my hornworm?

tigerdawn(7)June 12, 2011

I found my first tomato hornworm today on a Homestead Flynn's Tomato plant. He hasn't done much damage yet and is still small but I'd like to give him a new home. I have an angel trumpet (upward facing blooms). Will that work? I might be able to dig a nightshade out of the park, or maybe plant some yukon gold potatoes that are sprouting in my cabinet. Whichever would be best but also not a tomato. :-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
soonergrandmom

Lisa will probably say move him to the angel trumpet, but personally I would mail him to Lisa. LOL

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 11:46PM
Lisa_H(7)

LOL, Carol!

Yes, the datura is probably a good place to put him. I think that is what Dawn does with hers.

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 11:54PM
tigerdawn(7)

Awesome! Thanks. I'll move him in the morning... if I get up in time.

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 12:37AM
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

Tigerdawn,

I move them someplace...any place. Some of them don't seem to be as fond of daturas as tomato plants and sometimes will leave it after I place them there (picky eaters!), so I usually stick a leftover tomato plant or two outside the garden fence in a semi-shady area and move them to it when I find them. They rarely reappear in the garden after that though so I think that when I move them to a datura and they then leave it, they must go find some native nightshades on their own, which isn't hard because the pastures are full of them. When I put them on one of the leftover tomato plants, sometimes they eat it and sometimes they don't. The reason I put the leftovers in a semi-shady spot is so that I don't start thinking I ought to 'protect' them from the hornworms so I'll get tomatoes from them too. I put them in a shady enough spot that they'll make leaves but not tomatoes which means I leave those plants alone and let the hornworms have them!

Dawn

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 9:15AM
tigerdawn(7)

I found another one this morning. I put them in a little cricket carrier with some tomato and datura leaves. I thought it would be neat to see them grow and molt and stuff. I haven't raised caterpillars since I was a kid. Looks like they are the tobacco hornworms, the ones with the stripes as opposed to the v's.

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 6:31PM
More Discussions
Pictures to warm us up
So far I have 20 flats- a few plants I lost to applejuice....
luvncannin
Cover crops that help with root rot
I just listened to a soil health talk on the web. My...
johnnycoleman
Question on my potatoes
I planted the first week of April. They're strong and...
chickencoupe
Pinching growing tips on tomato seedlings?
Every spring usually after I've transplanted my tomatoes,...
jcheckers
Anyone ever read the Soil forum?
Hahaha, I went over to go check out how they were doing...
Lisa_H
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™