When to move peonies?

little_dani(9, S. Tex Coast)August 18, 2009

My cousin asks me,

"I have some peonies that were here when I moved here 13 yrs ago. How and when do I dig them up and divide them???? I would like to separate them and plant some elsewhere."

She lives about 65 miles north of Amarillo, Texas, and they have long hard winters up there. I live down on the Texas Coast, almost to Corpus Christi, and have not a chance of growing a peony.

However, I am the only cousin she has who is a Master Gardener, and I hate to admit ignorance. So, I am begging for information here, so I can share it with her. That would be two birdbrains with one stone that you could educate. I would appreciate it so much.

Thanks!

Janie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

I don't know what you mean by "long hard winter"? If the ground does not freeze, you can dig, separate and replant anytime during the winter. It would be a good idea to prepare the new location by digging in finished compost to the area down to about 2 feet. In your location it sounds like winter chilling may be a problem and could prevent the peonies from blooming. When planting notice the buds which will be next years flower stems, and be sure that you do not bury them. In marginal chill areas you need to depend on air temperature to chill the buds as the soil,if it covers them, acts as an insulator. Al

Bookmark   August 20, 2009 at 9:23AM
More Discussions
2015 peony blooms
Please update your peonies blooms or growth here. This...
bunti
Double Pink Fernleaf
I have seen the most beautiful pink double fernleaf,...
KarenPA_6b
New at growing peonies
Hi, I LOVE peonies, but I am new at growing them. After...
dizzylizzy415
bare root peonies - when to plant?
Well, its that time of year in the northeast when I...
frances_in_nj
Wild Peony (Paeonia mascula) Update:
Hi, Last September I have got 20 Paeonia mascula seeds...
cumulus_nimbus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™