Mold and Seed Starting

dereckbc(7a TX)January 1, 2006

I hear a lot about green mold and damping off with seedlings here and thought I might share a tip I tried last year. Just sprinkle some cornmeal over the top of your soil medium after you set the seeds. It prevents mold and fungus, plus acts as a very mild fertilizer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
honu(z11 HI)

Dereck, Thanks for the good tip! I didn't know it was ok to use before germination.

Bookmark   January 3, 2006 at 4:13AM
dereckbc(7a TX)

I didn't have any problems, bu tkeep in mind only tried it once last year with good results

Bookmark   January 3, 2006 at 11:44AM
John__ShowMe__USA(5/6)

I rather like the green mold. Personal quirk I guess. Used to get it all the time when used Miracle Gro potting mix with jiffy pots. Never ever had a capsicum damp-off problem though. (that I can remember)

Bookmark   January 3, 2006 at 3:04PM
fruitopia

im using jiffy pots and miracle gro also and i have this white mold on top too, i have no circulation where the seeds are. Is this mold going to affect plant growth? Also how do I get rid of it if it is damaging? Thanks

Matt

Bookmark   January 14, 2006 at 1:23PM
pkapeckopickldpepprz(z9 a/b FL)

For kicks I tried the moist paper towel/napkin in a plastic ziplock baggie set on top of the refrigerator for 10 days to germinate. It used to work great, but this time the black mold ruined the seeds.

I tossed the moldy seeds and the paper mess into a Rubbermaid tote with excess soil and covered it and maybe a few will sprout still. Probably over 100 seeds.

Bookmark   January 16, 2006 at 8:53PM
willardb3

snip
For kicks I tried the moist paper towel/napkin in a plastic ziplock baggie set on top of the refrigerator for 10 days to germinate. It used to work great, but this time the black mold ruined the seeds.
snip

I germinate just like that very successfully.

I have not had any pathogens since I learned to wash my hands before I start.

Bookmark   January 16, 2006 at 9:17PM
DesertDreamer(9b AZ)

A tiny amount of chelated iron on the surface of your seed starting material will take care of fusarium, which is usually fungus that does the damage.

Bookmark   January 25, 2006 at 1:55AM
honu(z11 HI)

dereck, Thanks for the great tip about cornmeal. It worked on my stubborn tomato seeds, which didn't sprout after 3 weeks. Actually I was about give up, put a thick layer of cornmeal on the sprouting surface in case there was a fungal problem, let it dry out, and intended to throw it in the compost pile, but didn't get around to it. A week later, a healthy sprout showed up. I think the cornmeal acted as both fungicide as well as added some nitrate ion, which may have enhanced germination. Will now try this on some stubborn pepper seeds.

Bookmark   March 26, 2006 at 11:09PM
chiliecup

I have a thin layer of white mold and my plants just started getting the true leaves. I have a few strong starts should I worry about the mold or should I try putting some cornmeal down?

Bookmark   March 21, 2008 at 4:58PM
chefsean(7)

From what I've read the white mold is no big deal and will go away once you set the seedlings outside. I had some white mold near my seedlings so I scaled back watering a little and set a fan nearby. It's almost gone now. If it gets thick just gently scrape it off with a knife. I love the cornmeal idea, I'm gonna try that.

Bookmark   March 22, 2008 at 12:27PM
trish48_epix_net

Some of my saved seeds from last year are moldy. Are they OK to use or will it affect the squash in any way? I washed them well after gathering them and I let them air dry on a paper towel set on a rack; but, apparently, they were still moist when I put them in zip lock baggies to store over Winter. It's a brownish gray mold that's covering the seeds. Will the squash be edible if the seeds do sprout and can be planted?
Thanks for your help.
Trish

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 5:02PM
More Discussions
Do Habs take longer to germinate?
I've only had one Hab germinate after 2 weeks and almost...
ozzy2001
When To Plant Out ---2015
When To Plant Out ? By that I am not looking for a...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Seed soak
IIs 24 hours too long? I won't be home until then....
peps_22
Labeling seed germination trays
Just finally getting around to seeding this weekend....
brian6464
Show Your Seedlings
After all that work, gathering seeds, trying to germinate,...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™