Tree Peony Planting Shock

gabnxe(z5 MO)August 8, 2005

Hi. My first post here, as I found out about tree peonies will passing through a few months ago.

I purchased a SHIMADAIJIN that was in a gallon pot. The nurseryman said it had bloomed this year. I kept it in the pot about 1 month, and collected a HIGH NOON along the way. So, after about 2 more weeks, I planted both, in the same bed. The Shimadaijin's foliage turned brown & crispy overnight! The High Noon is looking OK. What could be the problem?

Thanks for any help.

gabnxe

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jillikins(z5/ Chicago)

Well, I can't help, because I am also in Zone 5, near Chicago, and having a very similiar crispy brown edge problem.

I bought a Yagumo in June, also in a 1 gallon pot. I had it in the back yard in the pot, thinking I would plant in in partial shade, which is what the tag on it says to do. The nurseryman advised to put it in full sun to get the best blooms. So I put it in the front yard and amended the soil with lots of compost. I watered diligently, knowing that the root system would be essential.

Well, it has been hot, but the other plants around it, the sunlovers - salvia and coneflowers, are doing great.

So, are we to think that perhaps it should have a little less sun? The only thing the nurseryman told me when I called him about the brown edges, is that I should add some mulch (2 -3 inches) to keep the moisture in. He also recommended to only water it at the bottom, not to let the sprinkler or the hose get the leaves wet.

So I know I am not much help, but what do you think?
Anyone with any recommendations?

Bookmark   August 13, 2005 at 8:24PM
jillikins(z5/ Chicago)

I went back to the Peony Forum and found a previous thread on tree peony planting shock. Lots of good information there - especially about the part shade/ full sun concern. Since my plant is still showing new growth, and many leaves are turning brown around the edges, I think everything is going to be okay.

Take a look at the previous thread - all particpants in zone 4- -5-6.

Bookmark   August 13, 2005 at 8:33PM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

Planting in the heat of summer is a shock as the plant tries to extend feeder roots into native soil and supply as much moisture as is being transpired through the foliage due to a suddenly hot sun. Transplanting is always less stressful if done in the spring or fall. Al

Bookmark   August 17, 2005 at 9:59AM
More Discussions
Tree Peonies from Songsparrow
Well I just placed an order to Songsparrow Nursery...
peonyman
I'm So Bored!
Why does this winter feel SSSSOOOO LLLLOOOONNNNNGGGGGG??...
lizbest1
walmart peonies Sorbet and Emile Debatene
Found sorbet and Emile Debatene at Walmart yesterday...
raptor1
Peony pinching or deadheading
I picked up a peony in a planting pot that had about...
purslanegarden
Springhill Kirinmaru Peony
I just received Kirinmaru Peony from Springhill. The...
KarenPA_6b
Sponsored Products
Star Armchair by Domitalia
$897.12 | Lumens
Signed Navy Blue & Ivory Floral 8'x10' Chobi Hand Knotted Wool Area Rug H7270
BH Sun Inc
Oriax Wall Mounted Lighting & Sconces 2-Light Pine Tree Wall Sconce with Amber
Home Depot
Colorful Flowers I & II Wrapped Canvas Set
$64.99 | zulily
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Oriental Weavers Rugs Nevis Passage Green/Beige
$59.97 | Home Depot