powdery mildew question - sorry!

emmgusSeptember 13, 2007

hi there,

i have 2 two year old festiva maximas that did beautifully this year. i have been careful to only water them at the bottom, but i think all the rain in our area this year has done them in. they both have signs of mildew, not too bad, but it's there.

my questions are these: should i bother to do anything (organic only) about it this year? i'm planning to put a few more white doubles in soon, and i don't want a big problem on my hands in the future. also, can i treat them with something either now or in the spring to help prevent it next year? any good tried and true methods?

thanks in advance for any advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

For powdery mildew I spray with ultrsfine horticultural oil, or neem oil. Nothing will remove the damage already done, but the oil is effective in preventing more of it. You may need to spray every week or two if conditions continue. When you remove the foliage at seasons end I would spray the soil with Bordeaux mixture. Al

Bookmark   September 14, 2007 at 9:43AM
emmgus

thanks al for your response. i am planning to use horticultural oil on another plant that had scale this summer, so i guess i will do both that and the peonies. i've never used bordeaux mixture, i'm assuming i can look up the recipe. thanks for the tips.

Bookmark   September 17, 2007 at 7:39PM

Recipe is the right word. Bordeaux must be made when you need to use it. It is one of the messiest concoctions ever to use, stains everything, but lasts in the garden through most rains. Al

Bookmark   September 18, 2007 at 10:21AM
flowergirl70ks

Al, do you ever just sprinkle it on the ground in the spring? Do I have to spray it? I'm cleaning up peony foilage now and there is a lot of dry stuff. These peonies got hailed on 4 times this year and a lot of the top foilage dried up. I have never made a spray out of bordeaux, just sprinkled it on. It came in a package with holes in the top.

Bookmark   September 22, 2007 at 7:47PM

Premixed Bordeaux will not compare with freshly made. Google Bordeaux mix and I am sure directions how to make your own will be available. Al

Bookmark   October 5, 2007 at 10:24AM
More Discussions
Peony pinching or deadheading
I picked up a peony in a planting pot that had about...
purslanegarden
any luck with peonies in Texas (7b).
I have a north east corner of my home, that gets a...
ingridjill
Tree Peonies from Songsparrow
Well I just placed an order to Songsparrow Nursery...
peonyman
cumulus_nimbus
Peony sorbet and karl
I recently got some sorbet and karl rosenfield, i've...
kaesgarden
Sponsored Products
'Luau' Blue Lobster Print Indoor/ Outdoor Rug (3' x 5')
Overstock.com
Handmade Luau Brown Coral Indoor/ Outdoor Rug (3' x 5')
Overstock.com
Antica Farmacista Prosecco Diffuser
$69.00 | FRONTGATE
Peugeot Paris u'Select Salt Mill
$47.00 | FRONTGATE
Matira Ivory and Denim Blue Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$228.65 | Bellacor
Matira Cranberry Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$228.65 | Bellacor
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kaleen Rugs Matira Tangerine 3 ft. x 5 ft.
$98.97 | Home Depot
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kaleen Rugs Matira Grey 5 ft. x 7 ft. 6
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™