Spicy pickled brussel sprouts....

greenman28 NorCal 7b/8aJanuary 6, 2014

My friend at the Farm was pickling brussel sprouts this weekend, and she invited me over to make a special batch....so I brought Red, Yellow, and Chocolate Ghost Peppers to make some proper sprouts! I did 6 quarts with the Ghosts, then another quart that I loaded with Jalapeno and Serrano. Due to the absorption of the brine, I'll store these upside down to keep the top sprouts fully saturated. Can't wait to try these out!

Mrs. Wages spicy pickling spice, dill, and garlic. And peppers.

Josh

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomt226

Damn! Those look good. It was 20 degrees with a 30 MPH wind yesterday so I stayed in and made hot sauce and salsa with a variety of my dried peppers.
Good excuse to drink beer at 9:00 AM...

Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 6:29AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Good excuse, indeed, Tom. There might have been a cran-vodka cocktail consumed during the making of these.... ;-)

Josh

Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 9:48AM
judo_and_peppers(Tampa FL)

I hate brussel sprouts. I can't even smell them without vomiting in my mouth a little bit. if I try to eat them, I vomit almost immediately. doesn't matter how they're prepared. you can wrap them in bacon and cover them in cheese, and I still can't even handle smelling them. I have no idea why that is. I just can't stand them. and my brother absolutely loves them. as you can imagine, that made for an interesting childhood in a house where you can't leave the table til you've cleaned your plate.

Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 6:12PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

You might like them like this....or you might just vomit a little less from them ;-)
By the way, Jason, I sent your seeds out. I'm slowly getting around to it.

Josh

Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 7:11PM
mswiggi(5)

Those look amazing!! I absolutely love brussel sprouts! I usually sauté them with a little bacon......but it looks like I'll need to mix it up from now on!

Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 5:27PM
tsheets(5)

Looks good! I am planning on planting Brussel Sprouts this year so thanks for the idea!

Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 10:29PM
Elbourne(8b)

I pickle okra with peppers. I've never tried Brussel Sprouts. That looks really good.

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 5:20PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

I've pickled okra, peppers, carrots, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, green beans, beets, and of course cucumbers....I love a good pickled vegetable!

Cracked open the jar of Yellow Ghost sprouts the other day, and they were so delicious. They have just the right amount of crunch...not mooshy as one might expect. The sprouts by themselves really have very little heat. The garlic is amazingly flavorful.

Two of my friends and I decided to fish the pepper out and try it directly. Classic mistake. The Yellow Ghost wasn't too hot, but certainly overwhelmed the mouth and stomach for a solid eight minutes :-)

Josh

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 5:38PM
More Discussions
Where do you find seeds for different hot peppers?
Is there a special place to order seeds for some of...
goldilocs
My Carolina Reapers and Naga Viper need help!
As you can see from the pictures above each of the...
krystalpepper
Effect of Temperatures, Day Length, Rain/Moist'r on . Peppers.
Title speaks for itself, to some extent. But let's...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
How To Support Pepper Plants
Those who grow tomatoes know it that supporting the...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Hate the new layout
How about you? Usually, I don't care, but this blows. Kevin...
woohooman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™