spider mites

dcrsoJanuary 11, 2013

This past summer I had a large infestation of spider mites in my lawn and roses.I have tried many differnt types of insecticide with little result. Does any one know what works the best on mites? When and how often should it be applied
Thanks
Dave

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

hmmm.. a miticide.. applied according to the label???

see link ...

ken

ps: are we to rely on your ID???? .. spider mites in the lawn doesnt sound right .... but i havent finished my first coffee ... so not much sounds right , right now .. lol

pps: this link says: Mites are not insects; they are more closely related to ticks and spiders. Most mites are visible to the unaided eye and usually measure 1/8" or less in length. [http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/notes/Urban/mites.htm]

and perhaps that is why INSECT-icides might not work .... especially if you are dancing around the light weight stuff ...

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   January 12, 2013 at 7:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Control of any garden pest means you need to know something about what you are trying to control. Spider mites are not really insects and spraying insecticides around to control them simply kills off any predators of those spider mites that might be around.
Spider mites become more of a problem in hot, dry weather because they then suck more plant juices which causes them to mate more which produces more of the wee buggers. The simplest means of control is to mist affected plants to raise the humidity around that plant.
The link below can be of some help.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Spider Mites

Bookmark   January 12, 2013 at 8:01AM
More Discussions
Sure fire way to get rid of Earwigs
I read the FAQ's for Earwigs and no mention was made...
dowlinggram
Weeding raised beds!
My husband was being treated for cancer last fall and...
jpc57
Tomato disease
My tomato is under attack. It looks like both insects...
garf_gw
coleus crisis -- leafhopper/ weevil/ cyclamen mites combo?
I have been having a lot of trouble with my coleus...
brown_panda
A rabbit! Argh!
Of all the problems I expected in a suburban dessert,...
deserthawk
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™