fall peony care

hudvalley(z7 VA)September 8, 2006

new to peonies! this info must be on here somewhere, but what do i do in the fall? fertilize? cut back? mulch?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cateyanne(zone 5/6 Northern Ohio)

Hi, I'm in ohio so I don't know what you would do there differently but I have always had peonies. After the season when they start dying out i cut them down to about 4 inch stems. they will eventually die back completely and you will not see much except some dead wood through the winter. In the spring when your cleaning up you will be able to seethem sprouting up, get rid of any old growth and they will come up all new again! I mulched as a matter of course but not sure if it's necessary. they are the best plant! good luck!

Bookmark   September 8, 2006 at 7:03PM
diannp

Cut them back and forget about them till spring. If you mulch them remember that you'll need to pull the mulch back from the crown in the spring so that the eyes are no deeper in the dirt than two inches or less. Otherwise, you will not get blooms.

Just make sure you do good fall clean up and you'll be doing yourself and the peonies a favor. I don't fertilize my peony and they do just fine.

Diann

Bookmark   September 12, 2006 at 12:12PM
jqpublic(7b/8a Wake County NC)

I'm assuming this is the best time to move them? I am thinking about moving one towards the mailbox b/c that area gets ALOT of sun.

Bookmark   October 23, 2006 at 3:47AM
calistoga_al

Yes move them now. If you want to divide, do that now also. Al

Bookmark   October 23, 2006 at 9:35AM
tarawigginton

Please help!!!
I recently moved into a new home in Pennsylvania (zone 6) and don't know a soul. I was given a layout of the current garden and the former owner (who left no forwarding # or address) gave me a garden layout which includes a 20 foot narrow garden of Sarah Bernhard peonies. She stated that they are very hardy and have never needed to be staked. They were planted 5 years ago. At the height of bloom season (spring) they are about 5 feet tall. Since I just moved in on the 1st of October I am now looking at all the stalks and leaves lying on top of each other (very thick stalks); however nothing appears to be rotting, just some leaf petals are starting to get brown but are still attached to the stems. I'm new to gardening so I need details. Is cutting foilage back to 2" above ground virtually mean cutting every stalk right to the ground? I'm so afraid of killing these gorgeous flowers. With the little research I've done, I'm just not sure if the Sarah Bernhardts are a tree, hervaceous or intersectional. As you can see I've never grown peonies before but based on the pictures I'd like to start expanding my current garden. Help... the first frost is just around the corner. What do I do??
Thanks,

Bookmark   November 1, 2006 at 9:03AM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Sarah is a herbaceous peony.

Just follow the instructions given above, and you should have a beautiful display to enjoy in 2007.

Welcome to GW! I see you just joined today.

Sue

Bookmark   November 1, 2006 at 12:32PM
chinesetreepeony.com

you can visit our site and download the care instructions or you can visit us in April in Leesburg, VA.

www.chinesetreepeony.com

Bookmark   February 18, 2007 at 9:17PM
rbaton8300

What are the pieces on the plant after the petals fall off? Are they seeds and can I start new plants from these?

Bookmark   June 24, 2007 at 1:49PM
eowynn

I just got some peonies this summer and I put them into pots. Now that winter is comming I was woundering for whats the best way on how to store them in their pots over the winter.

Bookmark   October 17, 2008 at 10:09PM
jude31(6 E Tn)

Is it too late to move peonies in my zone 6 garden?
Jude

Bookmark   October 20, 2008 at 8:05PM
coolbirth

i transplanted a few potted peony plants to the ground last summer, then cut back the dead buds and dead leaves in the fall. however, i neglected to cut the stems down, i am knew to gardening (especially peonies, which seem to be quite particular). have i done something detrimental by not cutting the stems back? will the plant not sprout this summer?
i'm a little worried. i'm planning to cut them back now, but is it too late? should i still do it or should i not bother? what can i expect?
also, i have them planted beneath a dogwood in my yard (in new jersey), is this an alright location?
help! thank you in advance for your assistance and advice.

Bookmark   March 13, 2010 at 5:14PM
maifleur01

Coolbirth it sounds from your description that your peony may be a tree peony. If it is, should have a woody stem, you do not cut them back. Just wait to see where the buds appear before you do anything drastic. You may have new stems come up fro the soil with a tree peony but the leaves should look different from a regular peony. If you have the labels to look up the names it would help identify them.

Bookmark   March 13, 2010 at 7:03PM
kfranz2

Does anyone cut peony leaves and compost them? Mine are just starting to turn brown, and I think that's what I will do today!

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 10:04AM
KarenPA_6b

According to peonies experts, It is best not to compost peony leaves as they may harbor fungal diseases - botrytis kills your flower buds and plants too if it gets bad enough.

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 10:19AM
More Discussions
Springhill Kirinmaru Peony
I just received Kirinmaru Peony from Springhill. The...
KarenPA_6b
late in life experiment
After putting it off forever, I finally decided to...
bragu_DSM 5
Itoh fertility
I know that Itoh peonies can't bear viable seeds, but...
pompomoranda
Wild Peony (Paeonia mascula) Update:
Hi, Last September I have got 20 Paeonia mascula seeds...
cumulus_nimbus
planting bareroot peonies in Jan
Received my order from Charmarron Gardens a couple...
raptor1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™