Polyphemus Moth caterpillar? Are they common?

scottokla(7)July 21, 2011

I have two large green caterpillars on two blueberry bushes and a brief search shows this might be it. One will likely still be there tomorrow. Anyone know if these are common here in NE Oklahoma?

I can't bring myself to kill large caterpillars so in this case I sacrificed about 25% of one bush and 40% of another to these. Hopefully they are not common so it will be worth it to my childlike mind. If in fact these are not common here then maybe I can take a picture of it and search again. I may be way off.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

Scott,

The polyphemus moth is said to be 'widespread' here, but I don't seem them very often and I think that maybe they're not as widespread as they once were. You're in such a beautiful, lush area of Oklahoma (most years) compared to mine that I'd bet you have a better chance of seeing them there than I do here. There's usually two hatches--one in mid-spring and one in July or August, so I assume that the ones you're seeing now are from the second hatch. Are they really large cats? They go through several instars, so if they're still fairly small, I suspect they'll be munching on your plants for some time to come. I hope the blueberries survive all the munching.

We had huge numbers of butterflies and moths in April and May when we were having some rainfall, but numbers have dropped very low here during the last 4-6 weeks. I suspect the heat and drought are really hurting the butterfly and moth populations this year.

Enjoy it while it lasts because I think the average Oklahoman rarely, if ever, sees one....and you're got two!

Dawn

Bookmark   July 21, 2011 at 8:24AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
scottokla(7)

Here it is.

Bookmark   July 21, 2011 at 10:30AM
More Discussions
Red Dirt plant sale at Atwoods
3 packs of veggies and flowers are .69 cents and 4...
jdlaugh
check in, all ok? sure was windy and lots of hail
All quiet here now, near NW 14 and Villa. Sure hope,...
OklaMoni
Lisa, did you see: Work starts to protect monarch butterflies
Their bright orange and black wings are a familiar...
OklaMoni
How can I add photos to my posts?
I know many of you do this....I have tried to find...
merryheart
Calvert Landscape did a great job at my house
Scott Calvert is now on speed dial on my phone. He...
draej
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™