Moth balls

jenny05(zone 5)September 19, 2005

I just placed an order for some peonies and I was curious if moth balls might be able to hurt the plant if I put them in the hole when I plant them? There are lots of gophers on our property and up til now I've only had 3 peony plants. 1 of those was eaten down to almost nothing...amazingly enough it made it through that and I believe next year will probably be large enough again to bloom. I recall reading somewhere awhile back that moth balls tend to ward off gophers so as long as it won't kill my plants I would like to try it. These are rather expensive peonies and it would really be sad if they got eaten before I even get a chance to see them bloom! Has anyone tried this before with peonies or any other plant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blueheron(z6 PA)

EEEEK! Do not use mothballs in the garden! Here's what Mike McGrath, former editor of OG, says in his column to a reader who questioned if she could use them to repel neighbors' cats:

"VERY IMPORTANT: Don't ever use mothballs or flakes. Those little toxic waste pellets destroy cats' kidney function, could seriously harm people who handle them, and yes, contaminate your garden soil. Their packaging even warns against using them this way. "

The main ingredient naphthalene, is a strong chemical that stays in your soil for a long time.

Bookmark   September 19, 2005 at 8:01PM
jenny05(zone 5)

I had an idea that it might be able to do some harm so I was a bit wary to put it in my soil without finding out for sure...I greatly appreciate the info!

Bookmark   September 20, 2005 at 5:40PM
smom40(5MO)

Not just cats, try people too.

Never put mothballs into your environment, inside or out.

Bookmark   September 26, 2005 at 11:14AM
More Discussions
germinated peony seeds care
Tow seed started germinating about 2 months ago. the...
Cumulus-nimbus
Herbacious peony growing with tree peony
I have a tree peony in my garden that is 4/5 yrs old...
raptor1
Adelman's Itoh Offerings for 2015
Has anyone seen Adelman's new peony catalog yet? They...
lizbest1
light requirements for Sorbet Peonies
Just ordered 4 from Michigan Bulb and the planting...
420benz
Looking for fernleaf peony
I am looking for Fern leaf peony double flower. Can...
bunti
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™