Reusing potting soil

kentstar(5b, NE Ohio)February 21, 2013

I'd like to reuse some potting soil that I have in a large pot on my deck for some tomatoes. I can add some amendments to it before planting. The problem is...
the pot had a hybrid tea rose growing in it last year that had developed anthracnose disease (the rose was shovel pruned last year). The pot has sat out all winter through the freeze, snow, etc. Will the soil be ok to replant in? Or should I just dump it and make new? (the pot is a 18 inch diameter pot)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

There isn't a simple answer to your question. I do believe that it's sometimes possible to rejuvenate a potting medium to extend its life. But, the medium has to be pretty darned sturdy in the first place. There are very few of those on the commercial market. Peat based media just don't cut it.

Ammendments should include such things as pine or fir bark fines, perlite, granite grit, etc. Stuff that creates porosity. Probably the most important elements in a productive potting medium are the pore spaces...voids. That's why most potting mixes just can't be reused ; they break down into tiny particles.

Now...all that being said....do you want to plant into disease contaminated soil? REALLY? Because it's still contaminated.

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 12:01PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

hey kent.. long time no see ...

they know its my favorite link ...

think dollar store turkey pan covered in alum foil.. giant jiffy pop ...

IF!!!! .. THEY TELL US THIS CAN BE ERADICATED BY HEAT..

i dont know.. and dont have time to google for you

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 6:33PM
calliope(6)

Eighteen inch pot for 'some tomatoes'? That's too small unless you are planting something like tiny tim or other miniature variety. Or were you just thinking of using the soil? If it were a flower I'd not be too bothered for re-using potting mix. There isn't much to peat-based mix other than a growing matrix. You have to add the nutrients, it's just something to hold roots. But, I don't plant or start tomatoes in anything other than santised pots and new planting mix. They are just too susceptable to disease and it's not worth the savings to lose them from innoculation from some pre-existing crud.

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 7:09PM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

How deep is your 18 inch diameter pot?

There are a couple ailments roses and tomatoes can give to each other (tobacco mosaic virus comes to mind) so I'd be inclined not to share soil between them.

tj

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 7:41PM
More Discussions
ID please
Found a bunch of these crawling around my rain barrel....
woohooman
Rabbit catch and release
I've researched all options for removing the rabbit...
beryl469
Possible plant disease?
Hi, Leaves on one of my new hedges have a white powder...
Dean Maunder
Getting rid of soil nematodes
Dear veggie lovers: This is my first season growing...
diane_zn7a_albqnm_5500ft
sudden black stains on indoor plant with insects
These black stains appeared suddenly on an indoor plant....
patriiiiiiiiiick
Sponsored Products
Pratt Retail Specialties Boxes & Cartons 1/8 in. x 24 in. x 550 ft. Perforated
Home Depot
Lodge Color Enamel 3 Quart Dutch Oven-Caribbean - EC3D33
$63.99 | Hayneedle
Voluspa French Cade and Lavender Candlepot
$19.50 | FRONTGATE
'Welcome' Seaside Flag
$12.99 | zulily
Voluspa Gardenia Colonia 2-Wick Metallo Candle
$19.50 | FRONTGATE
Handmade Kantha Throw #4813
$59.99 | zulily
National Public Seating Blow Molded Banquet Table and Upholstered Chair 9 Pc. Se
$349.99 | Hayneedle
Rosle Can Opener
$42.00 | FRONTGATE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™