what next on heavily cut back bell pepper (noob)

wolphFebruary 20, 2014

Hello I hope I am posting this in the correct area.if not let me know and I will move/delete it. I have a 1 1/2 year old bell pepper from a big box store. It was in poorly deained pot and was probably suffering major root probablems.I chopped it for winter and repoted it in sunshine mix#4 with a small amount of slow release vigoro 12-10-5 ,lime and some Indonesia bat guano. My question is do I pick the small fruits that are starting to appear? Will it start to shoot steams? Basic pruning and what to do next for it? Thank you I'm new to this and any shared knowlage would be greatly appreciated.

Also is there a probablem using "sweet prilled lime" pellitized?
Thank you all advice will be greatly appreciated! !!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morugaman

If that's a current picture I would say it looks healthy. You said fruits are developing already? Do you want it to grow more?

Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 9:13AM
wolph

I want it to grow as big as possible since it is early in the season.right now it is just a stick with some leaves.
Will it be ok to let it grow peppers or should I pull them off and allow for more veg growth?(there is very small peppers starting to form)
As it gets bigger what pruning will help with its growth? Top it or fim it? Or just let it go?
Thanks

Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 2:08PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Leave it alone :-)
Let it develop a nice full canopy. Are you sure that it is growing peppers....or are you seeing the flower buds form? Once the flowers are about to open, just pinch them off, and that'll keep the energy directed into producing foliage.

Josh

Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 2:13PM
morugaman

Agree. Once the flowers start to open just pinch em off. It helps throw energy into growing and less into flowering because flower takes a lot of energy. Are you using a window of lights?

Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 3:55PM
woohooman

Mine that survived the little frost we have had had some winter pods developing. But because it's winter and the foliage is sparse, I pinched em. There is now way they would have developed into anything much. Need to encourage more foliage at this point.

Kevin

Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 4:49PM
wolph

Ok thank.yea floweres, I was pinching them off to early to realise that they were flowers.it is out side in a very large pot in my drive way.when you say A window of light as in a small amount of time getting light?
So I will wait till right before the flowers open to pull them off thanks.

Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 6:47PM
woohooman

You don't even have to wait for flowers. You can pinch the buds. Once you see it developing more foliage, I'd stop pinching. Bells are weak producers as it is. You'll want as many flowers it can muster.

Kevin

Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 10:15PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

What Nex?

Now it needs lots of sunshine and warm weather to grow like crazy/

Bookmark   February 21, 2014 at 8:02AM
DMForcier(8 DFW)

> "when you say A window of light as in a small amount of time getting light? "

Meant "a window OR light". Question answered - it is outside.

Be careful of leaving it sitting on a light-colored driveway that reflects light up onto the pot. Those black pots absorb a lot of heat. If the pot is larger, then that problem is smaller.

Good luck!
Dennis

Bookmark   February 21, 2014 at 3:05PM
More Discussions
Help for GardenWeb Users
https://support.houzz.com/hc/en-us/sections/200556848-Help-for-GardenWeb-Users...
ronnyb123
Why I Like Tobacco Trays
Have 72 cells, which are cone shaped so the seedlings...
tomt226
YELLOW ghost pepper???
We had 4 ghost pepper plants on the deck all summer...
zelicindy
My Carolina Reapers and Naga Viper need help!
As you can see from the pictures above each of the...
krystalpepper
will my pepper seeds sprout?
I am planning to start to grow some pepper plants and...
mariorossi3c
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™