PeonyMan - please help!

bellarosa(z5/IL)September 20, 2005

I have 1 tree peony, High Noon, that my Mom gave me since she's moving. I dug it up and potted it. I have soaked it in a bucket of water for one night since the leaves were drooping badly. Its now outside my greenhouse in the shade, but I'm wondering if it will make it. What can I do to ensure that it makes it? Also, the temps here have been in the 80's. Should I wait until cooler weather to plant it?

Thanks much.

ECL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
peonyman(Zone 5, Lawrence, Ks)

Bellarosa,

As late as it is now the time is perfect for transplanting tree peonies. I transplanted some of mine today.

First you should go ahead and clip each of the leaflets from the bush. I usually snap them off, they will make a clean break from the stems. But if you are leary of doing that, they can just as easily be clipped off. Be careful not to damage the buds that are located in the axis of each leaf. With the leaves gone the plant will not be losing any more moisture.

Plant it now. Prepare the planting hole as good as possible make it very large use lots of admendments, ie: compost, peat.... Plant the plant deeper than it was growing at your mom's. As the weather begins to cool the plant will start putting out feeder roots for next springs growth. When you plant it, water it in good and then it should only take a minimum amount of water until the ground freezes.

I am sure the plant will do fine.

Bookmark   September 21, 2005 at 12:34AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bellarosa(z5/IL)

Thank you so much! I'll make sure to plant it ASAP and water it in well.

Bookmark   September 21, 2005 at 9:24AM
More Discussions
Itoh fertility
I know that Itoh peonies can't bear viable seeds, but...
pompomoranda
Double Pink Fernleaf
I have seen the most beautiful pink double fernleaf,...
KarenPA_6b
Mulching peonies with limestone chips
Does anyone mulch their peonies with limestone chips...
enith
New to peonies and have some questions!
I'd like to add some peonies to my garden this year...
DandyLioness (CA 9, SZ 14)
late in life experiment
After putting it off forever, I finally decided to...
bragu_DSM 5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™