Peony not looking too good and moss?

cherry67(6)September 20, 2012

So, in Fall 2010 I planted 5 Peonies in my yard, 4 came up the following spring. We had tons of rain that spring, the holes where the 4 that came up were full of standing water quite a few times. This spring only 1 peony came back. It only had one stem with leaves this time(last spring it had 2 or 3). No flowers this time either. Now it's pretty ratty looking...discolored with burnt edges on the leaves. There is this green carpet like moss covering the ground all over the base of the plant. Does anyone know what could be causing the moss and do you think I should plant it in another location? We have heavy clay soil and I'm in zone 6.

Thanks for any help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cherry67(6)

Oh and one more thing, earlier this spring it looked as if the very tip of an eye was poking up thru the soil(besides the one stem), but it apparently was a dud and never made another stem. Is it possible this peony has root rot and is just barely hanging on? I'm guessing that's what happened to the other ones since they never came back. Would that also cause it to have less stems than last year? I always heard they double the amount of stems from one year to the next...

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 8:56PM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

It sounds like your planting location is too poorly drained for peony. A mound or a raised bed at least a foot high I think would be required to be successful with peony or most other plantings, except bog type. It may be possible to install drainage tile, which would depend on your layout. Al

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 9:50AM
cherry67(6)

Thanks for the advice, Al. I would like to keep it as simple as possible, with a mound should I just place the plant above the dirt and add more dirt around it(without amending the soil below it)? Sorry for the silly questions, I'm not the most experienced gardener...lol. :)

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 1:35PM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

I would calculate how much soil needed to make the raised bed and order it from a landscape supply. It should be a balanced mix of loam and is usually sold as "Topsoil". It takes 27 cubic feet to make a yard, which is the measure used. Al

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 7:22AM
cherry67(6)

Thanks Al! I'll call around and try to pick up some topsoil then.

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 4:59PM
More Discussions
walmart peonies Sorbet and Emile Debatene
Found sorbet and Emile Debatene at Walmart yesterday...
raptor1
any luck with peonies in Texas (7b).
I have a north east corner of my home, that gets a...
ingridjill
Tree Peonies from Songsparrow
Well I just placed an order to Songsparrow Nursery...
peonyman
the purple-shaded tree peonies
If you like the purple-shaded tree peonies, including...
the_bustopher z6 MO
Springhill Kirinmaru Peony
I just received Kirinmaru Peony from Springhill. The...
KarenPA_6b
Sponsored Products
Nexus Single Tier Chandelier
Lightology
Atomic Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
Sweet William Chair in Clear
$87.99 | Dot & Bo
Darya Rugs Khotan, Stone, 7'10" x 10'1" M1783-151
Bitterroot Bit and Spur
Opera Chrome Four-Light Bath-Fixture
$264.00 | Bellacor