Green stink bug

leacattanFebruary 2, 2012

How did a big 1/4" green stink bug get into my house plant in the middle of winter? what should I be looking for to protect my house plants?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

You mean 1'', don't you? Anyhoo, stinkbugs and other 6,8, and zillion legged creatures find their way into our homes fairly frequently. Some are looking for a place to overwinter; others are looking for moisture and snacks. Some get in by accident...like the Japanese beetle that came in on the back of my husband's T-shirt last summer. We've both brought in lightning bugs by accident after sitting on the back patio for the evening.

Since you mention ONE stink bug, I'd not worry about it for a millisecond. Flush it when you catch it.

Bookmark   February 2, 2012 at 1:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

How, or why, depends on many things starting with where you are. Up here we have had numerous encounters with Box Elder Bugs and the Asian Lady Beetles because they find shelter in the out side walls of the house and migrate inward during warmer winter days. Very few of these overwintering insects eat, or drink, much of anything.
Adult Stink Bugs are known to overwinter in many areas of the country, usually outside under garden debris. I would not find it inconcievable that some, on warm winter days, would become active and move around, or that some might have found a way inside your house like the Box Elder and Lady Beetles do.

Bookmark   February 3, 2012 at 6:12AM
More Discussions
A rabbit! Argh!
Of all the problems I expected in a suburban dessert,...
deserthawk
Possible plant disease?
Hi, Leaves on one of my new hedges have a white powder...
Dean Maunder
Aphid central.... At my wit's end...
Every single over-wintering pepper I have is inundated...
theripetomatofarm
Home made seed tape
sorry - moved post to diff forum This post was edited...
oldgardenguy_zone6
sudden black stains on indoor plant with insects
These black stains appeared suddenly on an indoor plant....
patriiiiiiiiiick
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™