Identify the Pest - Indoor Plant

jmcnyc(6)February 10, 2013

Need help identifying this pest/disease. This is an indoor plant. Has been indoors for a year and just started seeing these white spots.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Scale insects

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 4:48PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

if its the oldest.. failing branches.. perhaps time for pruning them out ... which might remove a vast majority of the problem..

kinda guessing ... as focus would really make a difference ... in helping you ...

i would use a systemic soil product... and i would have done so in late august.. early september.. while the plant was still outdoors... as a PREVENTATIVE ...

i dont mind treating one plant indoors in winter.. others probably would like the smell ... i would consider the exposure insignificant.. other would not ...

ken

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 7:56PM
calliope(6)

The image is very fuzzy on my monitor. The offending pests look as if they have a soft, cottony appearance. I'd have said mealybugs. Tell me this, if you press one of the lesions between your fingers, does it have a soft, fuzzy feel like cotton candy and does it squish and produce a dark fluid? If so, then mealybugs, if not prolly as Jean suggested and scale.

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 7:37PM
chervil2(z5 MA)

An alternative to a systemic insecticide is to remove the mealybug insects by washing the leaves with a sponge. Use a quart of water with 1 drop of liquid dish detergent.

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 11:26AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

as i said.. i cant focus on the picture..

if its scale.. i would go systemic ..

if it soft bodied ... i would prune up the older branches.. put it in the shower.. and blast it good with the showerhead ... and wash off any that stick on ...

and if in two weeks.. they were still there.. i would get a lightweight pyrethrum spray.. put it back in the shower.. spray it down.. put on the fan.. and leave it there for the rest of the day ...

ken

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 1:33PM
More Discussions
Grubs
I'm finding quite a number of these in my garden beds....
oberci
Spots on my apple tree leaves
Hi, Spots have been appearing on my new apple trees....
nat9510
Getting rid of soil nematodes
Dear veggie lovers: This is my first season growing...
diane_zn7a_albqnm_5500ft
Acacia invaded by Caterpillars!
My wife and I don't know what to do. We have a small...
llilibel03
Aphids? Spider Mite? Thrips?
About a month ago, my husband bought me this plant....
janicenco
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™