Bareroot: expectation and reality

ego45(6bCT)September 19, 2005

Once again it proves to be true: order only from the reputable companies.

I receive today my order from Adelman's Peony.

I didn't ordered anything special or rare, just another fernleaf hybrid.

I was expecting regular 4-5 eyes with nice roots, but not this monster with 9 (nine!) large eyes, 6 or 7 small ones and 2 huge more than 1" diameter roots:

But that is not all. There was another another peony in the same box which I didn't order. At first I thought it was a mistake on their part, but then I look at invoice and it was clearly printed in black on white: 'Early Scout'-bonus.

Wow, what a nice 4-eyed bonus!

I could only imagine what would they send if you pay for it.

Certainly recommend them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adelman Peony Garden

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ljrmiller(z7 NV)

I can say the same thing about Klehm's Songsparrow--although they didn't include a bonus, the 'Do Tell' root I received is kinda scary it's so big. It was sent in a box about 8" x 8" x 8", and the box felt heavy for the size. I haven't pulled the division out of its moist sawdust since I won't be planting until the weekend, but I did gingerly stick my fingers in and feel the approximate dimensions. I'm thinking this is a good "excuse" to set off a little dynamite (called digging a hole big enough)! Okay, so I won't go the explosive route, but this isn't going to be a job for my little garden trowel.

EGO45, that's a HUGE Fernleaf hybrid division they sent you!

Bookmark   September 27, 2005 at 4:12PM
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

Quality!

Bookmark   October 1, 2005 at 1:25PM
msbernard(z4 cental OR)

Adelmans ALWAYS sends awesome roots at more than fair prices. I encourage everyone to give them a try. Yu would forever more be a repeat customer!

Bookmark   October 2, 2005 at 1:39PM
flowergirl70ks

I remember about 10 years ago when I ordered from Klehms, and got $100 worth in a shoebox. There were the 3 I ordered and a bonus. The roots were cut back so far I was sick, but they assured me they would be fine, and they were. All are still growing nicely. I certainly have nothing but good to say about them. Now Song Sparrow.

Bookmark   October 4, 2005 at 8:23AM
flowerluvr(Z5 IN)

Some things are just fate, aren't they? I haven't popped in on the peony forum in ages, and look what I find when I do, lol! Have been thinking that as I get older I may not want/be able to tend to some of the fussier perennials, and need to put in more peonies.
Thanks for the great source for them, EGO45!

Bookmark   October 4, 2005 at 4:12PM
More Discussions
Peony pinching or deadheading
I picked up a peony in a planting pot that had about...
purslanegarden
New to peonies and have some questions!
I'd like to add some peonies to my garden this year...
DandyLioness (CA 9, SZ 14)
2015 peony blooms
Please update your peonies blooms or growth here. This...
bunti
Moving my Itoh peonies from IL to TN.
I dug these last November since I knew we might be...
ryseryse_2004
Peony sorbet and karl
I recently got some sorbet and karl rosenfield, i've...
kaesgarden
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™