Finally on their way!

wherewerewe(z7 NC Triad)October 8, 2005

I'm excited to finally be getting my first order of Peonies in a week or so. I've waited a LONG time since placing my pre-season sale order months ago. Anticipation has been tough.

Question....I bought some bags of topsoil and compost I plan on mixing together. Should I include any soil conditioner like shredded pine bark for quicker drainage or will the fine textured dirt be good enough? I'd rather go through some preventative measures now instead of getting mad later. I'd love to see some blooms as soon as possible.

Thanks for your advice all you Peony experts out there.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

I love shredded bark for peonies. I use it as a soil conditioner and as a mulch. Amend the whole planting area rather than just amending each planting hole.

Bookmark   October 8, 2005 at 6:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wherewerewe(z7 NC Triad)

oh, that will be tough, considering the area for the 6 Peonies is pretty large...and I don't have a rotortiller. I'll just have to do my best and dig 6 big holes and ammend them the best I can....the surrounding soil won't be as perfect, but it has been ammended a couple years ago...it's a little clayey but I imagine the Peonies will be able to spread ok through it.

Do you have any pictures of your Peonies you'd like to share? I love looking at others' pics. Thanks =)

Bookmark   October 9, 2005 at 12:56AM
More Discussions
walmart peonies Sorbet and Emile Debatene
Found sorbet and Emile Debatene at Walmart yesterday...
raptor1
Desperate for Peonies in Texas
I would like to add peonies to my Central Texas garden,...
vuwugarden
Adelman's Itoh Offerings for 2015
Has anyone seen Adelman's new peony catalog yet? They...
lizbest1
Herbacious peony growing with tree peony
I have a tree peony in my garden that is 4/5 yrs old...
raptor1
planting bareroot peonies in Jan
Received my order from Charmarron Gardens a couple...
raptor1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™