Bare Root Sorbet Peony

LindaMA(MA z5)October 6, 2007

I just received a bare root Peony that I ordered from Park Seeds over a month ago. I had totally forgot that I ordered it, so was very suprised to see it in my mailbox yesterday. It didn't give a lot of info on how to plant it, I amended the soil in the area that I planted it, with peat moss, compost and a little bone meal. Looking at it, I had a hard time figuring out top for bottom and when I planted it, part of the long bottom piece snapped off, I put it together, lining it up with the other portion, as best I could, will my snapping of off like that kill the Peony?

I planted it a couple of inches below the surface with a just a little bit of the top(I hope) peaking out of the surface. Is this the correct way of planting it? I'm pretty sure that I have it right, the top portion looks as if there are buds about to grow. It's been unseasonably warm here in New England, I sure hope that it's not going to grow now, wouldn't that be bad for the plant?

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I love Peony's but have never owned one of my own.

Thank you,

Linda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

Although I don't live in your climate your planting sounds OK to me. Al

Bookmark   October 6, 2007 at 10:25AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
suel41452

You said "the top portion looks as if there are buds about to grow" and a little bit of this top portion is "peeking out" of the ground. I assume these buds are the eyes, and just make sure the eyes (buds) are 1-2 inches below ground, not peeking out.

Bookmark   October 6, 2007 at 9:05PM
More Discussions
Herbacious peony growing with tree peony
I have a tree peony in my garden that is 4/5 yrs old...
raptor1
Itoh fertility
I know that Itoh peonies can't bear viable seeds, but...
pompomoranda
New to peonies and have some questions!
I'd like to add some peonies to my garden this year...
DandyLioness (CA 9, SZ 14)
bare root peonies - when to plant?
Well, its that time of year in the northeast when I...
frances_in_nj
Wild Peony (Paeonia mascula) Update:
Hi, Last September I have got 20 Paeonia mascula seeds...
cumulus_nimbus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™