Saving Pepper Seeds

obrionusa(5)February 26, 2011

I'm thinking of starting to save my seeds versus buying them. I'm having to buy them from several different vendors and shipping is getting the best of me. So help would be appriciated. My garden is at my workplace in the country so my question is this. If I plant one variety at my home each year and save the seeds would the seeds be true to name without isolating them? I know neighbors on each side of me do not have gardens. Behind me is a golf course so Im good there. Actually I dont really think any neighbors close to me garden and if they did I suspect it would be maybe a couple tomato plants. I work out of town so isolation is not an option.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
biscgolf

sounds like you should be ok.

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 10:38AM
noinwi

"sounds like you should be ok."

...as long as your peppers are not hybrids to begin with, as saved seed from them(F2)may not grow true even when plants are isolated. Otherwise go for it.

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 12:19PM
obrionusa(5)

The peppers are cascabella, serrano, sante fe grande, jalepono m, ancho, and anaheim. Are these Hybrids?

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 4:17PM
noinwi

If your seeds are from a commercial source, it should state if they are hybrids on the packet. I don't think what you have are, although there are hybrid versions of Jals and Anchos. I didn't mean to worry you, just wanted you to know what to expect if you grow out seeds saved from hybrids if you weren't already aware.

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 1:00AM
More Discussions
crunch sweet orange
Just curious, is the guy who developed the crunch...
kuvaszlvr
best flavored of the "super hots"
I am sort of reluctant to use the words "super...
robeb_gw
Removing aphids from seedlings?
This is the first year I've had this problem. My seedlings...
bella_trix
Progress Video 3/26/15
Here's a look at my plants. Things are finally starting...
peppernovice
Bhut Jolokia best growing conditions?
I have some Bhut Jolokia peppers coming in the mail....
piranha338
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™