Top of Refrigerator

CanadianLori(6a Oakville)February 19, 2014

I keep seeing references to putting seedling/germination trays on top of the refrigerator and just now realized what this is about.

In case there are any other newbies out there like myself - this advice is for those of you who don't have fridges that vent their heat out of the bottom and instead have a warm top.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
habjolokia

I never used this method but heard a lot about it. I use the DVR, and since its in an enclosed area of the entertainment center I use the shelf above, it does have ventaliation though its enclosed. I also used the floor heat vents and just placed them right next to the vent and got them to sprout that way. Once I can afford to add heat mats I will get some, maybe in the next year or two. Thanks for sharing the info.

Mark

Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 7:57AM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Refrigerated to has been used by many as long as I can remember. I have used it in the past myself. It works . Have to put the tray all the way to the back.

Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 9:06AM
CanadianLori(6a Oakville)

That is really curious. The top of my fridge has zero heat - at the front at the back - the whole surface.

There is heat coming from the vent at the bottom front - not a good place to set a tray - might step on the seedlings while accessing the ice maker!

Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 9:17AM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Lori, ... the heat come up from the condensing coil , normally located on the back side. Otherwise the top itself is well insulated. That is why I mention that the tray should be pushed way back".

This post was edited by seysonn on Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 10:00

Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 9:31AM

I think what is happening is that a fan draws the heat down over the coils and pumps it out the bottom. I got out a step stool and put my hand right to the back and still no heat. There is a cupboard above the fridge so if any heat were present, I would think it would build up there.

Mine is a Kitchenaid Superba -think I'll dig out the manual to see why I don't get a bonus germinator!

Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 10:36AM
sjetski(6b NJ)

Lori, i didn't see any mention of using a thermometer to test.

Maybe try leaving one on the top / back of your fridge for a few minutes, you might find a good 6f to 10f temp difference. If so then it should be enough to sprout seeds.

Good luck either way though,

Steve

Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 11:05AM
abnorm(Orlando)

Most new reefers are designed for zero clearence (No Coils) in the rear and venting thru the toe kick .....Energy Code.........

Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 12:56PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Exactly....this advice comes from the older generation of 'fridges that were warm on top. I'm sure there are still some out there, but many new models are cool. However, heat does rise, so putting seeds atop the 'fridge isn't a bad place to put them.

Josh

Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 1:10PM

Tray just sitting in front of west facing window, don't have a south one or a germinating reefer so this will have to do.

Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 3:07PM
obchili

Wow. Nice start there. Looking good.

Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 9:49PM
bragu_DSM 5

*bump*

Bookmark   February 1, 2015 at 8:43PM
willardb3

All refrigerators have condenser (warm) coils or they wouldn't work. Some have coils in the kick space and reject heat there, some have coils at the rear and reject heat there, some have coils on top and reject heat there.

The only constant is that they all reject heat somewhere.

Bookmark   February 2, 2015 at 9:04AM
northern_hab

I have a zero clearance fridge, no condenser coils at the rear.

All you people who can germinate in the house are lucky. I have a couple of cats that get into everything. No matter where I try to germinate, they find the tray.

Bookmark   February 2, 2015 at 1:58PM
northeast_chileman(6a)

I have a couple of cats that get into everything.

>>>Grow something for Them!

Bookmark   February 4, 2015 at 6:27AM
More Discussions
Hate the new layout
How about you? Usually, I don't care, but this blows. Kevin...
woohooman
Help for GardenWeb Users
https://support.houzz.com/hc/en-us/sections/200556848-Help-for-GardenWeb-Users...
ronnyb123
MY PEPPER LIST FOR 2015
I GROW IN 5 GAL. WOODEN POTS ON MY DECK. CHARLSTON...
dac596
How To Support Pepper Plants
Those who grow tomatoes know it that supporting the...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Do Habs take longer to germinate?
I've only had one Hab germinate after 2 weeks and almost...
ozzy2001
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™