Help Identifying Peonies

jeanneOctober 7, 2005

I've got a couple of Peonies that I'd like to learn more more about.

The first Peony came from an abandoned farmhouse down the street from me. It's 32 inches tall and doesn't seem to have any fragrance, but this was the first year it bloomed for me so those bits of information might change as it matures. It didn't need staked. The next picture on that album is an older bloom on the same plant.

The second Peony came with the house which was built in 1955. It needed staked in its original location on the north side of the house, but not in full sun where it is now. It grows 48 inches tall and has a wonderful fragrance. I wish I could describe it well - it's pure Peony and doesn't have the soapy tones that Festiva Maxima smells like to me. The next picture in the album is another shot of the same Peony. It tends to have larger petals on the outside and smaller petals on the inside, but sometimes it doesn't and each bloom is an individual.

Am I correct in thinking that these are both bomb types? Any information will be truly appreciated.

Jeanne

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amulet(7b NC)

Jeanne,

I'm not sure if this is the same one, but I noticed that your picture of the first peony looks a lot like the picture of "Fancy Nancy" on the Blooming Bulb web site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fancy Nancy

Bookmark   October 10, 2005 at 1:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeanne

Amulet, the similarities between those two peonies are striking! I'm off to read more about Fancy Nancy. Thanks so much!

Bookmark   October 10, 2005 at 3:51PM
More Discussions
Ask: Is this a peony?
Hi, three weeks ago i purchased peony seeds online....
rafflesia
Looking for fernleaf peony
I am looking for Fern leaf peony double flower. Can...
bunti
Tree Peonies from Songsparrow
Well I just placed an order to Songsparrow Nursery...
peonyman
germinated peony seeds care
Tow seed started germinating about 2 months ago. the...
cumulus_nimbus
Itoh fertility
I know that Itoh peonies can't bear viable seeds, but...
pompomoranda
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™