tree peony seeds

rian(7va)October 25, 2007

Hooray! Five of the rockii seeds that I put in a plastic bag with potting soil have sprouted little roots. There is no action yet in the bags with damp vermiculite even though those seeds came from earlier flowers.

I'm about to send the sprouted seeds off to spend a few months in the downstairs refrigerator, planning to bring them out and pot them up sometime in January or February.

None of the seeds I planted outside last summer turned up this year so I am trying the plastic bag and refrigerator route. If any of you who have done this successfully (or unsuccessfully) have any advice for me, I'd be grateful.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
daveinohio_2007(5)

Rian,
Last year, some tp seeds grew well from the procedure that you describe: the root forms during the initial warm (60 deg F) moist stage; the sprouted seeds are then placed in frig where the top growth appears; plants were then grown under fluorescent light until last frost when they were planted outdoors. Growth outdoors last summer was very slow; supposedly 5 yrs is required for bloom.
This year, there are about two dozen seeds in basement, hopefully sprouting roots.
Good luck.
dave

Bookmark   October 28, 2007 at 8:08PM
rian(7va)

Thanks Dave. Did the top growth appear while the plants were still in the refrigerator? What medium do you use to grow them?

Bookmark   October 28, 2007 at 10:08PM
daveinohio_2007(5)

Rian,
Yes, the top growth first appears in the frig.
The medium is a moistened mix of equal parts of seed-starter and perlite; the containers are kept covered with Glad wrap or kept in baggies.

Your seeds are P. rockii; most tree peonies are (??) derived from P. suffruticosa; what is difference between the two?

dave

Bookmark   October 29, 2007 at 9:02PM
rian(7va)

As I understand it P Rockii was once classified as a variety of P Suffruticosa. Now it is classified as its own species. The nomenclature is changing because so much more info is available with the opening of China to the world.

Bookmark   October 30, 2007 at 10:50AM
More Discussions
Peony pinching or deadheading
I picked up a peony in a planting pot that had about...
purslanegarden
Need Help With Timing of Putting Potted Peonies Outside
I've been nursing three potted peonies begun as roots...
JenWise
2015 peony blooms
Please update your peonies blooms or growth here. This...
bunti
Tree Peonies from Songsparrow
Well I just placed an order to Songsparrow Nursery...
peonyman
Can peonies handle spring wet?
We moved to a new home a few years ago, and I've finally...
erikarochelle
Sponsored Products
Framburg Princessa Five-Light 27'' Wide Chandelier
LuxeDecor
Bradford Hanging Lantern
Lightology
Home Decorators Collection Wall Mounted Cambridge Outdoor Essex Bronze Small
Home Decorators Collection
Feiss Terrace Outdoor Wall Lantern - 16H in. Oil Rubbed Bronze - OL4002ORB
$98.00 | Hayneedle
Los Feliz 27 1/4" High Outdoor Hanging Light
Lamps Plus
Outdoor Lighting. Richmond Collection Post-Mount 3-Light Outdoor Matte Black Lig
Home Depot
Progress Lighting P5515-86 Three-Light Hanging Lantern With Clear Seeded Glass
Progress Lighting
Fuchsia Floral Hanging Teacup Bird Feeder
$12.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™