Fall Planted Peony sending up Shoots!

houdiniiOctober 5, 2007

What do I do...3 weeks ago I planted "Kansas" as a bareroot that I ordered from gilberthwild, and it has sent up 2 shoots that are now about 2 inches above the ground. It looks exactly like what you would expect to see in the "spring." Should I cut down the shoots or just let it do its thing until the 1st hard frost and then cut down the growth?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
suel41452

I would also like to know what to do in that instance. I ordered 4 bareroot peonies & planted them 4 days ago. We are having record heat and Oct. 7 it's supposed to reach near 90 degrees!!!!! I'm afraid mine will start growing, too.

Bookmark   October 5, 2007 at 8:08PM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

I would not do anything other than being sure the roots are not dry. The peony will survive fluctuations in the weather. Al

Bookmark   October 6, 2007 at 10:30AM
houdinii

Thanks, I asked Jim Waddick today at the HPS sale in Kansas City, and he recommended I leave it alone. So...that's what I'll do. I bought some peonies at the sale that I didn't really expect to get...but my impulses got the better of me. Tree Peonies: Homei $20, Seidai $22. Herbaceous: Lollipop Lies $5, Paul Wild $8, Pink Parfait $8, Angel Cheeks $15. I think the herbaceous ones were from Klehm's Song Sparrow. Now I just need to find places in the yard for them...and buy lots more dirt. I hope the tree peonies can weather full sun on the west of my house. The tree peonies are maybe 10" tall, so I don't expect much from them for awhile...but I'll be patient.

Earlier this year I planted the following herbaceous: Louis Van Houtte, Raspb Sundae, Solange, Dr. Alex Fleming, Kansas, Red Charm, and Mons Jul Elie. I already have Sorbet and Edulis Superba...so I'm really looking forward to next spring and the years to come.

Last but not least, Waddick recommends planting peonies with the eyes 1" deep, and then as the soil settles you can fill in above it with 1 more inch for the final depth of 2"...at least in the Kansas area he recommends that.

Bookmark   October 6, 2007 at 1:56PM
More Discussions
2015 peony blooms
Please update your peonies blooms or growth here. This...
bunti
Itoh fertility
I know that Itoh peonies can't bear viable seeds, but...
pompomoranda
Moving my Itoh peonies from IL to TN.
I dug these last November since I knew we might be...
ryseryse_2004
cumulus_nimbus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™