Sylvester Palm Landscaping

kelela411(z5 illinois)April 9, 2011

I am new to the beautiful sunny Central Gulf Coast Florida area. I am interested in any ideas of what plants to put under a recently planted Sylvester (phoenix Sylvestris) Palm Tree in the center of my front yard surrounded by a circular driveway. Hoping to plant something colorful, drought tolerant, and easy to maintain.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chadec7a

Nice palm, I would surround it with some lirope, cycads and your favorite agave!

Bookmark   April 9, 2011 at 10:41PM
karate626(7A Maryland)

I would plant some aloe as they are useful plants to have if someone gets a burn and also look interesting while in bloom. I like plumerias but they grow like a tree, you could always hack it down. They have flowers that are awesome and many smell heavenly!

T.J.

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 1:27PM
wellsme

I agree with T.J. I planted aloe(real fast growing) and some cactus, looks great and low maintainance. http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy352/wellsme/019.jpg http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy352/wellsme/016.jpg

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 5:01PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

I think some ginger (especially variegated shell ginger) would look fantastic. Philodendrons are a great idea with some bananas (especially dwarf cavendish bananas which wont get too huge). Some ferns would be great as ground covers and Gardenias would be a nice thing to add as well. If your going to plant cycads, try not to go for a sago palm. As much as I like them, I think they are really overused and Dioons usually have a much nicer color to them (usually a bluish color). Some clumps of rhapis, cat palms, and/or arecas would look great underneath your date palm as well. And some smaller heliconias would be great too. Most of the plants I mentioned can easily handle a light freeze so they should be great for a zone 9. But if your willing to have some plants as annuals or experiment with them in hopes for a mild winter, then you can also try a ti plant, croton, hibiscus, peace lilies (only if you manage to create full shade), and many others. They are cheap enough to replace every year, but as long as you dont get another cold winter for a while, they would actually be pretty long term survivors if your by the water in Tampa and south to Naples or so.

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 7:33PM
More Discussions
King palm fronds turning brown
I planted 3 big king palm trees ,fronds started turning...
callecovina
Coconut Palm in Newport Beach, CA
Hey guys, just thought you'd like an update on the...
cmventura
Needle Palm Spearpull
I planted a needle palm last year and it overwintered...
i_like_pi
Me little plants just atsrting out
If you look close you can see the Y.Rostrata,variegated...
jimhardy
Planting young palms
Is it better to grow baby palm trees in container and...
Late Sound
Sponsored Products
Sylvester the Cat Serigraph
$39.99 | zulily
Sylvester Bar in Brown Maple
Overstock.com
Go Home Sylvester Candlesticks
Beyond Stores
Cattelan Italia | Sylvester Chaise
YLiving.com
Sylvester End Table - Medium Medium
Joybird Furniture