Gardening Newbie: Cajun Belle Pepper- Wilting Flowers?? With Pics

agurusaFebruary 24, 2014

Hi all,

I'm a complete newbie to gardening, but I decided to try my hand at planting some cajun belle peppers. They were looking great until recently, when the flowers and one leaf began yellowing and wilting. The stem intersections are also dark brown.

Could this have to do with overwatering? Underwatering? Too much heat? Or are they completely fine...? I live in South Florida, where it has been over 80 degrees for the last few days. I water every other day or every couple of days.

The picture shows one wilting flower in the foreground, one recently bloomed flower in the background, and the brown stems.

Help please! Thank you :)

-Aarthi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morugaman

That plant looks very healthy. I couldn't tell you what the brown stem is related to but how often do you water it? Also what kind of solid did you use?

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 12:54PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

The dark color at the stem joints is normal.

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 11:18PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

As Jean says, the dark color is normal.

But the overall plant looks pale - not as healthy as it could be. I would recommend that you water less, and if the plant is wilting then move it into some shade during the hottest part of the day.

It is still a young plant and has significant growing to do. As you reduce watering, the plant should be able to take up more nutrients from the mix. The plant is in need of nutrients - whether due to the impaired roots (from excess moisture in the root-zone), or due to an actual deficiency in the mix.

Josh

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 12:46AM
More Discussions
Cooking With Fresh Peppers
When we talk about chili/ hot peppers, hot red peppers...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
How's your overwinter going?
How's everyones overwintering going? This was my first...
ozzy2001
Problems Germinating Seeds
Hi Everyone, I used to be able to germinate seeds....
newmexmike
Where do you find seeds for different hot peppers?
Is there a special place to order seeds for some of...
goldilocs
I had it bookmarked
It looks like it is the whole enchilada, not that cut...
ronnyb123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™