Have you ever tried tree peony cuttage?

haveatry2(Zone 7)November 5, 2008

Some times you could get some branches with buds cut from tree peony. Have you ever tried cuttage?

Theoritically, tree peony could be propagated through cuttage.

I tried tp sand cuttage in these days, after one month or more, the buds are looks still fresh, but no root. anyone happen to know how to make it root? Could tp be cuttaged in the water?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur01

I have attempted after seeing information in several books. But none of the books other than mentioning it is done gave any information other than a poor picture of a row of cutting in a box. I think a month is way too soon to expect roots.

If anyone has done this I would like to know did you use new wood or old, time of year cut, was a bud left on or was it blank, was the entire stem placed underground, or what.

I have not tried it yet because I keep forgetting but supposedly if your plant starts developing green side shoots the shoot can be cut off with a bit of the stem, placed in moist sand, and according to the books the bud will start sending out roots. In my area this could be late June or early July. I imagine that the time would vary depending on your area.

Bookmark   November 5, 2008 at 10:09PM
haveatry2(Zone 7)

I read some reports and thesis in Chinese about tree peony cuttage. Most of them report rooting after 2 monthes or so. But the rooting rate differ much.
As they suggested, one year new stems (especially root shooting) (with buds, of coures)are better than old ones. Autumn before dormancy is traditionally the best time, some also suggest cut in the blooming season and could get higher rooting rate.

Bookmark   November 6, 2008 at 3:32AM
haveatry2(Zone 7)

Here is a sucessful tp cuttage (in Japanese)
http://sun.ap.teacup.com/doubt/391.html
With the help of translation tool, it seems the cuttage is started in April (blooming season) new stem with some leafs,four months later, roots found.
Very impressive. We need more of these examples.

Bookmark   November 6, 2008 at 4:00AM
haveatry2(Zone 7)

I am also trying some water cutting. Put several tree peony stalks in the water, fixed with a foam, buds in the air and covered by film to keep moisture. Also add a piece of Vitamin C and B12 in the water to help rooting.
Might fail, but anyway, you could see what are happening there at anytime.

Bookmark   November 7, 2008 at 2:25AM
haveatry2(Zone 7)

Finally, these cuttings begins to root. Four cuttings finds new roots there. Hope the others will also meet the success.
It seems i'd be patient and wait the time to complete the miracle.

Bookmark   November 11, 2008 at 1:01AM
More Discussions
light requirements for Sorbet Peonies
Just ordered 4 from Michigan Bulb and the planting...
420benz
Wild Peony (Paeonia mascula) Update:
Hi, Last September I have got 20 Paeonia mascula seeds...
cumulus_nimbus
Double Pink Fernleaf
I have seen the most beautiful pink double fernleaf,...
KarenPA_6b
Itoh fertility
I know that Itoh peonies can't bear viable seeds, but...
pompomoranda
germinated peony seeds care
Tow seed started germinating about 2 months ago. the...
cumulus_nimbus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™