need to move needle palm

drtoddh(6)April 6, 2010

Hello, I have 2 needle palms here in southern Ohio outside for 4 years now. No problems with the winters. They have thrived and even bloomed last year, no seeds though. We are building a house and would like to take the palms with us. Now I need to move the 2 needle palms. 1 is smaller, about 2 X 2 feet. I dug a ball about the size of it's drip line but then a good portion of the soil fell off. There was surprisingly little root structure there. The plant was put in a large pot for now. I am afraid to dig the larger 4X4 needle palm until I get some opinions. Is this palm very hardy to transplant? Is the lack of a large root system pretty typical and how particular are they to being disturbed like that? Any more suggestions on how to do it? It really has to be done this month. Thanks, Todd

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicalzone7(7b)

I honestly dont see you having anything to lose. I would really dig as far out as you can (even though most palms dont really have that extensive f root systems). Not sure how easily they transplant, but since they are such slow growing palms I wouldnt expect them to grow for a good amonut of the summer after being transplanted.

Good luck, hope they transplant well for you!

Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 10:37PM
More Discussions
How to trim a half dead palm..
Hello! I have a large palm that has been in my house...
thrghbrdjmpr
Coconut Palm in Newport Beach, CA
Hey guys, just thought you'd like an update on the...
cmventura
Mexican Fan Palm Frond Tips are Black/Brown
Hello, I noticed yesterday that my Mexican Fan Palm...
eemedrelyt
Please help identify my cycad
Hi all, I bought a cycad from a palm nursery that was...
aramat
Bright indirect light???
Hi! I just bought a couple plants (Areca palm, sago...
Nikki321
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™