White waxy lumps on stems.

Russell57February 21, 2013

I have white waxy lumps on the stems of a hedge in my backyard. When small (2-3mm) they look like a little Mr Wippy icecreams, a conical shape. As they get larger they are more like a blob. When removed they have a pinkish mouth shape on their underside. I pick the large ones off but squash the smaller ones against the stem. Just wondering what they are and weather squashing them is OK or if I'm actually spreading the problem.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Look up wax scale.

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 12:09AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Russell, you've done a mighty fine job at describing the wax scale that Jean has identified! I suggest removing them rather than squishing. If you let us know the name of the plant and your general location, we can do a better job of coming up with the best solutions. Also, a good picture to allow us see the extent of the population would be helpful.

The eggs are inside the wax scale.....that's the pink stuff. That's why squishing might be a bad idea.

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 5:34AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

The usual control, oil sprays, for scale are not very effectiive against waxy scale since the oil does not form the barrier on them as it does on other scales. If not many the best control measure is hand picking with some suggestions that pyrethrin based materials can also be used although this very broad spectrum poison can also kill off the predators of this scale just as the much less desirable carbyrl will.

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 7:32AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

welcome to the down under ...

i tend to go to the systemic extreme ... on a VALUABLE plant ...

i would recommend just getting rid of a euonomys [WAG for sure] ... they are a plague on such [scale in general] ...... and not worth harming mother earth ...

when THINKING about chemicals.. you MUST start with a plant ID ... then a bug ID ... and then discuss ALL the remedies .. including removal of the plant ... i mean really .. is it worthwhile to spend $20 to 'save' a plant you can buy or replace for $10????

pic of plant and scale please ...

ken

ps: a month or so back we had a post from AU.. on some bush i never heard of.. that was being swallowed by scale.. anyone recall that plant.. piggley wiggley or something down under-ish??? lol ...

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 7:52AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

wiggley piggley..

lilli pillis..

whats the difference.. lol ....

see link.. perhaps that discussion will get you where you want to go ..

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 1:25PM
Russell57

Thanks for all of your posts and advice, I think I'll keep picking them off by hand as there aren't that many and it can be somewhat therapeutic if you have the time and the weather's nice.

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 3:56AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Keep in mind that there is some evidence that systemic insect poisons are harming the pollinators as much as the poison sprays are.

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 7:25AM
More Discussions
Weird white stuff growing on my plants.
I've noticed weird stuff growing & spreading on...
Cheryl Tan
Spots on my apple tree leaves
Hi, Spots have been appearing on my new apple trees....
nat9510
Help for my Privet
I have two large privets outside on my Patio, (i live...
estesdv
Sure fire way to get rid of Earwigs
I read the FAQ's for Earwigs and no mention was made...
dowlinggram
Aphid central.... At my wit's end...
Every single over-wintering pepper I have is inundated...
theripetomatofarm
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™