Sterilizing small amount of Potting Mix

ottawan_z5aMarch 19, 2009

Can I sterilize small amounts of commercial potting mix (such as Schultz Potting Soil) to be used in 18 oz container by using a microwave cooker to kill anything (eggs, larvae etc) that may infest the commercial soil mix. Most of the time such soil mixes are supposed to be sterilized but then you get fungus gnats out of nowhere and the only suspect could be the potting mix and not the seeds or sterilized cuttings. My plant containers are isolated in a clear plastic storage box and get fungus gnats and would like to eliminate the probability of soil as the carrier. I know there are chemical solution available to kill the fungus gnats larvae but I want to try to sterilize the soil first and see if it will help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
siris

Try baking it. I had a springtail problem for a while, and it was one of the solutions that popped up in a search. It was posted across many pet turtle-related forums.

I didn't try it personally, because the problem solved when I solved the other problem my few infected pots had.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.healthrecipes.com/soil_plants.htm

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 4:22AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Baking any soil, or microwaving, will cause a stench in your house that will be difficult to get rid of. Pouring boiling water over your mix would be better, if done outside.

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 7:49AM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

And that stench means it was over-heated and has released materials that are potentially toxic to your plants.

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 10:26PM
victorine72(7a)

I had a nearly full bag of seed starting mix left over from last year. It had been in my garage (half-open) ever since. I didn't want to waste it, so I put it in the freezer for a few days. I used it to start some seeds after Valentine's day and so far, not a single seedling has dampened-off. No fungus knats, either.

Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 2:59PM
ct99246_tds_net

I put soil in bags and let them sit in the back of the car for a couple of weeks in hot weather. It helps reduce weeds, probably also some pathogens.

Bookmark   May 25, 2011 at 6:22PM
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

Tap water should be hot enough if you rinse it thoroughly after hot water has reached the faucet. I'd just leave the bag wide open in the sun for a few days until it is completely dry. Fungus gnat larvae can't survive in dry soil. You could also spread it out on cardboard to let it dry. Of course with weather like we're having that would be impossible here right now.

Bookmark   May 26, 2011 at 1:04AM
More Discussions
Help! My Coleus Has Yellowing, Dying Leaves
I have an unknown variety of coleus; spent last summer...
linuschris
ID please
Found a bunch of these crawling around my rain barrel....
woohooman
Help for my Privet
I have two large privets outside on my Patio, (i live...
estesdv
yellow raised spots/bumps on tomatillo leaves
Hi guys, I've got some tomatillo plants that are developing...
kuvaszlvr
Sponsored Products
Dform DB14 Basket Drum Pendant - Small
LBC Lighting
Graff | Sento Floor-Mounted Tub Filler
$2,011.50 | YBath
Small Honeycomb Cast Iron Shelf Bracket
Signature Hardware
Justice Design Group WGL-8771 - Dakota 1 Light Wall Sconce - Cylinder with Flat
$196.20 | Hayneedle
Huppe | Bridge Bed, Queen
YLiving.com