Root Knot Nematodes (tomato comparison pics)

joellenh(6b Jenks)July 5, 2011

These are pics of two of my tomato plants in root knot nematode infected beds. Juan Flamee and Siberian Pink. If you can't tell, they are dead. ;) Brown stems, complete folliage loss. This is despite huge efforts to reduce the population (I solarized the soil, planted a fall cover crop of Elbon Rye and tilled it under, applied an Actinovate soil drench, added organic matter including compost, bunny poop, and crushed crab shells).

By comparison, here are pics of a few of my container tomatoes. They are all thriving and the difference is staggering. For the next few years I will only grow tomatoes in containers, and my raised beds will be used to grow things that don't serve as hosts for RNK.

So now, I am looking for a garden plan for edibles that are heat and drought tolerant, AND RKN resistant. Does anything like this exist?

Jo

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PunkinHeadJones(7)

Have you pulled up a plant just to confirm RKN ? It's a bummer when you go through all the recommended cures and you still have the problem.I just had to give up to plots.
I have been told they don't like onions.

GardensAlive.com sells preditor nematoads but I do not know of their effectiveness.

Bookmark   July 5, 2011 at 7:49PM
seedmama(7)

Jo,
I'm so sorry. Some of my tomatoes looked "similarly dead" LOL so I went and pulled them. No sign of nematodes. Maybe there's some consolation in knowing others have dead tomatoes even without RKNs.

Bookmark   July 5, 2011 at 9:36PM
biradarcm(7b)

I also noticed couple of plants in our garden were looking similar to your plants before I pulled them. How I should know those are affected by Root Knot Nematodes? Any specific symptoms? -Chandra

Bookmark   July 6, 2011 at 5:40PM
PunkinHeadJones(7)

As the name implys the roots will be covered in "KNOTS", bumps nodules these are caused by the micro worms. Even though the plants look wilted water will not help them.

Bookmark   July 6, 2011 at 6:39PM
bettycbowen(7)

I had one tomato within a row of ok ones that looked like yours and also died. I haven't pulled it, but will (yes it is still there, bad I know). I've always wondered about nematodes, but never knew how to tell until I read this post and Googled. The deceased is Heinz 1431 from the Spring Fling.

I did, however, plant "Nema-Gone" marigolds, of course in a different bed, from Baker Creek. I have no idea if/how/why those work. They are pretty though.

Bookmark   July 6, 2011 at 10:23PM
More Discussions
ID help
I love spring time. I get to start cleaning out the...
jlhart76
It was supposed to be cloudy with a chance of showers today...
so I got up and planted a row of broccoli by noon....
mulberryknob
Persistant Herbicide Progress
Here's an update on how some of my plants are exhibiting...
okoutdrsman
pine shavings yes or no
I have access to alot of pine shavings/bedding from...
luvncannin
Oklahoma Kiwi plant recommendations.
I have the OSU handouts, and have done some research,...
Sheik Paladin
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Hand-knotted Himalayan Southwest Multi-colored Wool Rug (8' x 10')
Overstock.com
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
$29.00 | Home Depot
Root Beer Four Square Contemporary LED 36" Sq Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Couristan Chobi Kerman Creme Oriental Rug Multicolor - 3320/0017-3.6X5.6
$899.00 | Hayneedle
Sample-Celeste Spice Gold Glass Tiles Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Blue US State Map Customizable Print
$18.99 | zulily
Soft Blue Oushak Rug 6' x 9' - LIGHT BLUE