green algae or mold on branches of several plants?

luvpatch2March 11, 2014

HI! I am doing yard cleanup and pruning My yard and have noticed green algae or mold at the base of a bougainvilla plant, Wisteria vine and a few of my other plants. We have had cold wet freezing weather a few times this winter. I am wondering how to get rid of it and if this is going to harm my plants . Some of the plants are in containers and a couple of them like the vine are in the ground. I also have this green stuff on the outside of some of my terracotta pots. Any suggestions and help would be great! I live in Houston.
Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

w/o a pic ... its impossible to answer ..

but generally.. we do not clean the exterior of our plants ... you really havent given any info indicating it is in any way.. affecting the plants ...

as to the pot???? .... many peeps with clay pots.. smear buttermilk on them.. to encourage moss growth ... unless you are able to ID moss from algae ... i suggest you leave them.. but if you dont like it.. 10% bleach and a scrub brush, but dont get any on the plant ... but it will also wane as heat and drought start ....

pix????

ken

ps: google images for lichens ... they are not a problem ... ever ...

Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 6:42AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Most likely you need do nothing since that probably will go away once the plants dry out some.

Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 6:43AM
More Discussions
Possible plant disease?
Hi, Leaves on one of my new hedges have a white powder...
Dean Maunder
Aphid central.... At my wit's end...
Every single over-wintering pepper I have is inundated...
theripetomatofarm
Lilac Concerns
My lilac plant is... frying? ... Lives in zone 8a One...
kricsten
Treating tomato plants with dishwashing soap
This is my first time here, so i hope i am following...
susanbf714
yellow raised spots/bumps on tomatillo leaves
Hi guys, I've got some tomatillo plants that are developing...
kuvaszlvr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™