what should I do?

themayorswifeNovember 7, 2008

I apologize if this is a duplicate post - I posted a week ago, but I can't find it on the forum! Here is my dilemma: we are transitioning from one house to another. My current garden holds several peonies we planted 4 years ago, which have special meaning to us. They flowered the first year & have grown & become more beautiful each year. Now, we are building a new house which won't be ready till next Sept or Oct. Our current house isn't sold, so I haven't moved the plants. I have no good, safe place to plant them at the new house, and don't want to move them numerous times. Can I take them up now & keep them in my refrigerator indefinitely? Doing so now would mean they will miss an entire growing season next year! Or do I (sadly) leave them here for the next owner to enjoy? In the end, it's more important to me that the plants live and thrive.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Thyme2dig NH Zone 5

Do you have any friends that can babysit them in their garden until your garden is ready? That is what I did with many of my plants when I moved and the new house wasn't ready. I also had a large amount of loam dumped in a remote part of the new yard where I heeled in a lot of plants.

Bookmark   November 8, 2008 at 8:57AM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Welcome to Garden Web and The Peony Forum.

I found your post. It was in the middle of a thread.

Can I overwinter my peony in the fridge?

In the future you can find your posts on a forum by putting your member name in the search box found just below the list of threads on page 1. It oftentimes will take 24 hours though for your post to be cycled through the system and found via the search.

Also...whenever you start a post you will see Check here if you would like copies of follow-ups to your message emailed to you. with a check box in front of it. It's handy to have the replies come into your email, as opposed to having to keep a constant check on the thread.

Sue

Bookmark   November 8, 2008 at 9:28PM
themayorswife

Sue, thanks for the hints on how to find my previous posts. I just want to point out, though, that the one you found was NOT me!
Anyway, I have thought about putting the plants in my next door neighbor's garden. She is a great gardener, and would take good care of them. My biggest concern though is if I move them several times over the next year, will I stunt their growth?
thanks for any add'l advice

Bookmark   November 12, 2008 at 11:54PM
haveatry2(Zone 7)

In my opinion, if you move peony at the right time, that might hurt that much. If you carefully move them with soil at the roots, that might be better.
I have a suggestion, not sure if that is okay to you. I know some of the gardeners in my country have tree peony planted in a big plastic pot,with some little holes on the wall, and bury the pot in the soil. The environment is near the same with planting in the soil. When they need to sell the tree peony, it is very convenient to dig the pot out with little hurt to the plant. The other point is this method might limit the root's length and get a better lateral root system.

Bookmark   November 13, 2008 at 12:56AM
More Discussions
My one peony
We had an unusual hard freeze early last fall here...
bouldergrower
Springhill Kirinmaru Peony
I just received Kirinmaru Peony from Springhill. The...
KarenPA_6b
Need Help With Timing of Putting Potted Peonies Outside
I've been nursing three potted peonies begun as roots...
JenWise
Wild Peony (Paeonia mascula) Update:
Hi, Last September I have got 20 Paeonia mascula seeds...
cumulus_nimbus
Sponsored Products
Feiss Ceiling Mounted Lighting King's Table 3-Light Forged Iron Indoor
Home Depot
Justice Design Group FSN-8704 - Aero 4 Light Bath Bar - Tapered Cylinder Shade -
$428.00 | Hayneedle
Cherry Red Diamond Cuts Super Kazak 5'x7' Hand Knotted Oriental Area Rug H4055
BH Sun Inc
Furniture of America Ridge Adjustable Twin over Twin Bunk Bed with Drawers - IDF
Hayneedle
Empire Star Indoor/Outdoor Rug 7'6" x 9'6" - GRAY
$699.00 | Horchow
Outdoor Ceiling Fan: Hampton Bay Metro 54 in. Indoor/Outdoor Rustic Copper Ceili
Home Depot
Harbour Stripe Rug 7'9" x 10'10" - BLUE STRIPES
$885.00 | Horchow
Hopson Leather Corner Sectional Sleeper (3 piece) - Brighton Volcano Brown
Joybird Furniture
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™