Is It to late for planting peonies?

hummerloverNovember 14, 2007

I have a stupid question, Is it to late for planting peonies for a fall planting? I put some in the ground last year, but it was about October I think. Some companys online are still shipping out and some are not.I really would love to get some in the ground now and not wait till spring. The temps are pretty low at night, and in the morning there is frost. I would apreciate some advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

You don't mention your zone but as it is only frosty at night planting peonies should be fine. Al

Bookmark   November 15, 2007 at 9:29AM
hummerlover

Al, Thank you so much for your advice, I am zone 5,I tryed looking online and locally, but alot of companies are sold out. I wanted the peonies to have a head start but I guess I am definitely waiting until spring. Also Is it best to buy peonies with 3 to 5 eyes? Most likely it is a more mature plant and would have more of a chance of blooming the following year? I would appreciate it.

Bookmark   November 19, 2007 at 1:50PM
calistoga_al

The more buds the better on your new peonies. If you end up buying the mini bare roots sold in boxes from the mass merchandisers in the spring, I would pot them in one gallon pots until the fall when I would plant them in your garden. Don't expect blooms the first year or two. Al

Bookmark   November 20, 2007 at 9:28AM
More Discussions
late in life experiment
After putting it off forever, I finally decided to...
bragu_DSM 5
Sinking peonies
Most of my peonies are in raised beds, which over the...
calistoga_al
Springhill Kirinmaru Peony
I just received Kirinmaru Peony from Springhill. The...
KarenPA_6b
Peonie won't bloom
My mom dug up an old white peonie at an old home site...
Derby42 zone 6
planting bareroot peonies in Jan
Received my order from Charmarron Gardens a couple...
raptor1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™