Peony bud vernalization

stevelau1911November 21, 2012

About 2 months ago, I split up a huge keiko itoh peony into around 40 pieces in many pots. A few days ago, I lifted a few of them out of the soil, and I am just starting to see all kinds of little white buds forming all over these chunks of tuber which seems to be correlated directly with the soil temperatures dropping into the 40s.

Is this just a result of dividing up the clump, or do buds tend to form with temperatures hanging in the 40s? I have around 5 divisions per pot so I expect them to get very root bound once they sprout out in March.

I'm a bit afraid that too many divisions may crowd each other out, and some of them may perish due to the lack of light.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
illinoisdoglover(z5IL)

I hope someone will answer your question. I have never divided any of my Itoh peonies. They say the roots are very hard to divide. How long do you find that it takes to get a bloom from one of these divisions? Would like to learn and plan to read along and learn.

Bookmark   January 17, 2013 at 9:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stevelau1911

I'll show some updates likely on this forum once they activate in a couple months.

Bookmark   January 18, 2013 at 4:30AM
More Discussions
New to peonies and have some questions!
I'd like to add some peonies to my garden this year...
DandyLioness (CA 9, SZ 14)
bare root peonies - when to plant?
Well, its that time of year in the northeast when I...
frances_in_nj
Peony sorbet and karl
I recently got some sorbet and karl rosenfield, i've...
kaesgarden
Ask: Is this a peony?
Hi, three weeks ago i purchased peony seeds online....
rafflesia
Double Pink Fernleaf
I have seen the most beautiful pink double fernleaf,...
KarenPA_6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™