Have for postage-Double red roots only-no eyes

Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)November 10, 2006

I can send a 1LB, possibly 2lb box to one person....priority with confirmation.

Please post here and send me an email, and either have email addy unblocked, or include it in your email.

I'll see if there is any interest here, for a bit, and then offer them up on the 'regular' plant exchange.

Sue

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Moving this down, since these are dug and I want them gone soon.

I'm posting at the Plant Exchange.

Bookmark   November 11, 2006 at 9:31AM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

Gardeners should not be discouraged by good healthy peony roots with no buds showing. Many times adventicius buds will break in the spring and the peony will soon catch up to those roots showing a bud or two when planted. Al

Bookmark   November 14, 2006 at 9:23AM

calistoga,

Thanks for posting that info.

I had thought they would 'move' over on the Plant Exchange, but there was no interest.

The offer for postage is still open, if anyone might be interested here.
It really looks a lot more 'red' than this in person, especially beside some light pink ones.

Sue

Bookmark   November 14, 2006 at 9:47AM
sissyz(Z5 NorthIL)

Is it too late for your peony?

Bookmark   December 8, 2006 at 8:37PM

Yes Sissy, it is too late, as I very carelessly dumped a bunch of roots in two different holes a couple of weeks ago, due to lack of time and energy. I think they may even be in 'layers' to a degree...and prolly not a very good thing...but just wanted to give them at least a chance of surviving.

I just looked up adventitious buds that Al referred to above, and here is something I found.

A remaining type of bud, ADVENTI-TIOUS (ad-ven-TISH-us), forms at any other location. Adventitious buds may form on the inter node of the stem, at the edge of a leaf or at the cut on a stem or root.

Hopefully I will see some life come spring.
If interested, please email me sometime in early March, and if there is life apparent, I may be able to trade or send for sase...but it will just depend upon time, energy, and life getting in the way of gardening...but I would love to share them if all goes well.

Sue

Bookmark   December 10, 2006 at 10:47AM
sissyz(Z5 NorthIL)

Sue,
Thanks so much for getting back to me! Peonies seem to be one of those things I will never see bloom in my garden!
My hubby was transferred every other year and I would be given peony plants and roots, but they don't bloom after being transplanted for a few years, so I never saw them bloom in my gardens!!
One year, I saw a peony at Lowes with the bloom bud on it. I bought and planted it and waited. The next morning I went out to check on it and the little blossom bud was lying on the ground. I now live far away from there, but I would love to go see how it is doing!
I will check on you in the spring, if you don't mind...
Thanks, Sue!

Bookmark   December 10, 2006 at 10:35PM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

sissyz it is possible to transplant a peony and have bloom the first year. You need to plant a division of a blooming peony, not when it is blooming but during the dormant period. If you get a well rooted division, one with a large sweet potato type root and several fat buds and plant it with plenty of compost dug in and at the right depth, it will bloom the first year. Al

Bookmark   December 12, 2006 at 9:43AM
sissyz(Z5 NorthIL)

Thank you, Al! I sure would like to see it!

Bookmark   December 19, 2006 at 10:58PM
txcottagegarden

I was fortunate enough to receive some of these Peony roots from Sue and they are now 6-12 inches tall.
Yes.....they do sprout and are very healthy!!
I am anxiously waiting to see gorgeous blooms from these "roots without eyes" their first year.
THANK YOU SUE!
Donna

Bookmark   February 10, 2007 at 10:59AM

Donna...

If I remember correctly, I sent some 'with' eyes...didn't eye?

I'm surprised they are up and that tall, considering how deeply the ground is frozen here.

Don't expect too much...I think you will be doing well to maybe get a bloom from them. You are such a new and excited peony grower that I would hate to see you disappointed.

Sue

Bookmark   February 10, 2007 at 11:43AM
txcottagegarden

Sue,

You indeed may have sent some with eyes as well as some without. As you well know after planting all those BB peonies I coudn't see straight.

I could never be disappointed as I am already very pleased to just see I planted them shallow enough and there is life coming up out of the ground. LOL
We had just enough of a freeze to zap the peonies obviously. Our ground is not frozen at all as we have had some days in the 70's and everything is coming up thinking it is springtime!!

Bookmark   February 10, 2007 at 6:19PM
More Discussions
Can peonies handle spring wet?
We moved to a new home a few years ago, and I've finally...
erikarochelle
Peony sorbet and karl
I recently got some sorbet and karl rosenfield, i've...
kaesgarden
Itoh peony Early Arrival
I purchased this plant 5 years ago, from a reputable...
beverlymnz4
Peony Molly the Witch
Hello - I planted a super root 2 years ago. Last year...
furbank
Sponsored Products
Sol Sunburst Clock in Red
$79.99 | Dot & Bo
Small Size Tiffany Style Fruit Table Lamp with Stained Glass Shade
ParrotUncle
Drop Chair - Upholstered by Fritz Hansen
$1,099.00 | Lumens
Virtu KS-70072-WM-ZG-001 Vanity Set in Zebra grey with Carrara Marble Top
Blue Bath
Tropico Multicolored Outdoor Bolster Pillow
$119.00 | FRONTGATE
Cathys Concepts Personalized Gourmet Cheese Board with Utensils - Set of 5 Multi
$34.00 | Hayneedle
Burnt Orange Vintage Textured Faux Dupioni Silk Single Panel Curtain, 50 X 108
$63.95 | Bellacor
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Sarah Tan 6 ft. x 9 ft.
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™