Potting up seedling?

gerry_wyomingpa(z6)November 6, 2006

I need to pot up my tree peony babies, they have their first root, now it is time for "the big chill". How deep should the pot be, I have lots of 2 1/4" pots, but they are only about an inch deep, so I am pretty certain I need something more substantial, correct? Could I put more than one in a pot if I use larger pots, or is it better to just use one to a pot no matter? Can these go into a cold frame for the winter, I am going to make a bed for them to go into once they are at least large enough to not look like weeds.

So many questions...ugh

Gerry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gerry_wyomingpa(z6)

Down bad post.....down

Bookmark   November 12, 2006 at 1:35AM
mbundick(z7MD)

I usually pot mine once the root has emerged in something the nurseries call a tree pot - about 4 inches square and 6 deep, one to a pot. I place mine in an old refrigerator in the garage checking them regularly to see if top growth starts. When it does, I either place them outdoors provided the bulk of the winter is done or for those that start a bit earlier in the coolest part of the greenhouse.

Just a warning though the root is very fragile, handle with great care.

Bookmark   November 23, 2006 at 9:36PM
gerry_wyomingpa(z6)

mbundick,

Thank you for the response, sorry I was so late to get back to it. Being as tree peony are such hardy buggers, would it be possible to just put the pots outdoors for the winter? I have a few plants that I leave out all year round and they come back for me; hosta, sedum and one rose that I can think of.

Gerry

Bookmark   December 6, 2006 at 11:44PM
More Discussions
Wild Peony (Paeonia mascula) Update:
Hi, Last September I have got 20 Paeonia mascula seeds...
cumulus_nimbus
late in life experiment
After putting it off forever, I finally decided to...
bragu_DSM 5
light requirements for Sorbet Peonies
Just ordered 4 from Michigan Bulb and the planting...
420benz
Double Pink Fernleaf
I have seen the most beautiful pink double fernleaf,...
KarenPA_6b
Tree Peonies from Songsparrow
Well I just placed an order to Songsparrow Nursery...
peonyman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™