Chicken wire for deterring deer?

appletree729March 22, 2014

Has anybody ever used chicken wire, laid flat *on the ground* around the perimeter of your garden/yard to successfully (or unsuccessfully?) deter deer?

We currently have a 4 foot post and rail fence but I'd like to come up with a solution for deer before planting blueberries and a few apple trees this year. Apparently the deer don't like to walk on it. I figure that if I lay a 4 ft wide section a foot or two out from the fence (maybe propping the far side a foot or so, so the chicken wire is slightly sloped to compensate for any weedy vegetation that will grow under it) - that the deer will not want to jump the 5 or 6 foot horizontal length to get over the post and rail fence? Hopefully that all makes sense and you can visualize what I'm talking about!

I really want an inexpensive (and mostly invisible) way to keep them out. This seems like the best idea I have come up with so far!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DMForcier(8 DFW)

I have no comment about whether deer like walking on chicken wire.

But you will need a LOT wider section than that. A four foot jump to a deer is like stepping over a root.

Dennis

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 1:14PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

doubt 4 foot will do much of anything ...

check out the link.. maybe the 6th one might help .. if not.. try the other 622 posts ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 5:34PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Yes, I've seen that method suggested for deer and other animals, too. I do not know if it works well, or not. Well worth a try, I'd say.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 5:49PM
appletree729

Thanks everyone - I guess the idea was to play off of the habit of deer to not jump horizontally very far - similar to the way people use two 4 ft tall fences running parallel to each other, spaced about 5 ft apart, to control deer.

But maybe the outer barrier actually needs to be tall (as opposed to laying on the ground like I'm considering) and not just a certain distance away from the inner fence. I'd probably set the chicken wire a couple of feet out from the fence, so the edge of it would be more like 6 - 7 feet away from the actual fence. So the deer would need to jump 7 feet horizontally and then still clear the fence at the endâ¦

There's also something like this with just wire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbRRgIbYKgw

I was hoping to avoid needing to rely on sprays and other such deterrents - it's a fairly large area that I want to keep them out ofâ¦

:(

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 7:01PM
zackey(GA 8b)

Geez, I don't think that would work. We had a community garden in town and the lady had to use a double electric fence to keep the deer out.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 7:05PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

You would need something with a mesh that would trap the deer feet, like a 2 inch by 2 inch mesh, laid parallel to the ground but about 6 inches above. Laid on soil would not trap their feet enough to make them leery of trying to cross. The same affect could be made with fish line stretched at the same height to cause the buggers to stumble a bit.

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 6:52AM
appletree729

I think I'm going to try a couple of strands of fishing line strung on some fence posts. Thanks for the input everybody. This will be the cheapest way to experiment and from everything I've read/seen, it seems like it can be quite effective.

Hopefully between that, our fence and our dog, they'll decide to stay out.

Thanks for all of the input! I'll try to remember to post back here in a little while with an update in case anybody else is thinking about trying it...

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 12:28PM
More Discussions
Weeding raised beds!
My husband was being treated for cancer last fall and...
jpc57
Help for my Privet
I have two large privets outside on my Patio, (i live...
estesdv
Will these onions be any good?
I planted onions last year and the grass got in them...
beefarmer61
Grubs
I'm finding quite a number of these in my garden beds....
oberci
Acacia invaded by Caterpillars!
My wife and I don't know what to do. We have a small...
llilibel03
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™