Fertilizing Hot Seedlings........

gltrap54February 27, 2013

I know fertilization is a much debated topic when starting from seed, but I need input on your fertilizing (type/frequency,etc) methods. I've used diluted (1 oz/gal water)seaweed once a week since they've gotten a second set of leaves & were potted on in 2.5" pots.....

Also is a soil temp of 60F warm enough for my seedlings?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ab2008(6)

The fertilizing I can't provide any input on, but the temperatures- I keep my guys 78-85 degrees constantly. Less and they seem to grow a little more slowly.

At nights temps can linger around 75-80, but not much less unless it's really cold outside (sub 40 deg.)

Bookmark   February 27, 2013 at 1:58PM
john11840(z6/CT)

For seed starting, I usually use the ProMix with no fertilizer added. After they have sprouted I use an orchid fertilizer diluted to half strength. I started that just because I had the orchid fert and found that it worked for me.

As ab mentioned above, higher temps are better for the seedlings. The problem for me is that my light rack is in the basement which has an ambient temp of about 55 F. I compensate by using heating pads under the trays, but, at best my soil temp doesn't get above 65F. The result - I get good healthy seedlings, but they just take longer to germinate and mature.
John A

Bookmark   February 27, 2013 at 2:41PM
cugal(5b-6a NE Ks)

Thanks folks for your input! I'm starting seeds in my heated shop with an ambient temp around 60F, so I guess I need to isolate them in a prop chamber with a light.......

Bookmark   February 27, 2013 at 9:30PM
ab2008(6)

If you can keep them in an area that has a little warmer temp just until they germinate, usually they will be alright with a lower temperature afterward. About anywhere literally works.. some folks start their seeds on top of their entertainment centers, near their computers, top of the fridge, etc etc. Just somewhere that stays slightly warmer.

Bookmark   February 27, 2013 at 9:44PM
DMForcier(8 DFW)

I germinate in baggies at a temp around 83ðF, but then they go into a starter cell in a cold corner of the house, 60-65. No problems other than slow growing, but I wouldn't sow at that temp unless you have a couple months to wait.

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 2:49PM
More Discussions
Why did my Habaneros and Scotch Bonnets grow like this?
Good evening, I planted and have been growing for habanero,...
h1nsen
Saving Pepper Seeds and reducing cross pollination
I'm a beginner pepper grower, and I would like to save...
thaumaturge
Tip for burning hands from working with hot pepper
I'm sure this tip has been addressed but had to share...
utdeedee
Progress video...
Here's a quick look at my seedlings. I'm way behind...
peppernovice
MY PEPPER LIST FOR 2015
I GROW IN 5 GAL. WOODEN POTS ON MY DECK. CHARLSTON...
dac596
Sponsored Products
Star Wars 'You Can Go About Your Business' Storm Trooper Mug
$11.99 | zulily
Ponticello Bridge Bathroom Faucet - Porcelain Lever Handles
Signature Hardware
Sussex Beige Linen Club Chair
Overstock.com
Waring Pro Waffle Maker - Square
$59.95 | FRONTGATE
Seedling by thomaspaul Hedge 14" Wide Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Radiance Sweetgrass Pendant - Canary Yellow Flame Style Glass with Black hardwar
$809.10 | Bellacor
Voco Designer Chrome Towel Radiator Rail 35.4 inch x 19.7 inch
Hudson Reed
Possini Euro Design 24" Wide Frosted Glass Bath Fixture
Euro Style Lighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™