Fernleaf Peony difficult from seed???

Betty LevarDecember 27, 2008

Can someone tell me if they have had success growing fernleaf peonies from seed. I purchased a plant a few years ago but it must have beem too wet that winter and it didn't some up in the spring. They are expensive to buy but if the seeds aren't too difficult to grow I might try. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Betty

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
daveinohio_2007(5)

Good question. Does anyone have p. tenuifolia seeds?

Bookmark   December 30, 2008 at 9:50PM
peonyman(Zone 5, Lawrence, Ks)

I grow a good number of P. tenuifolia plants. I have double red, a couple of forms of single red and plants of pink single. So far I have never had a seed to set. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I know they do make seed, just not for me.

Leon.

Bookmark   December 31, 2008 at 12:05AM
ralfsmom(5)

hi, the double fernleaf won't produce seed. you should get seed from the single. you may have to hand pollenate it. ralfs mom

Bookmark   March 4, 2009 at 10:44PM
gartencentrale_gmail_com

Hello

I just purchased Fernleaf Peonies ( Paeonia Tenuifolia) seeds and they included the seeding process as well and here it is.

Place seed in moist vermiculte in plastic bag, place in warm area of the house out of the sun, when the roots appear move to refrigerator 40F) for 10-12 weeks, transplant when shoots arise, to warmth and sun.

I have not started yet because I would rather get a second oppinion, these seeds are $1.50 each

Bookmark   March 24, 2009 at 10:05PM
daveinohio_2007(5)

Your instructions sound accurate (my experience is mostly with tree peonies).Supposedly, peony seeds should not be allowed to dry after they are collected, so you should get yours into moistened peat asap.

Bookmark   March 25, 2009 at 1:17PM
More Discussions
Peonie won't bloom
My mom dug up an old white peonie at an old home site...
Derby42 zone 6
seedy advice
Scarification we've all been there. But No matter what...
bragu_DSM 5
Itohs at Michigan Bulb
In case anyone is interested, MB offers the following...
KarenPA_6b
light requirements for Sorbet Peonies
Just ordered 4 from Michigan Bulb and the planting...
420benz
Tree Peonies from Songsparrow
Well I just placed an order to Songsparrow Nursery...
peonyman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™