Preventing birds from eating chiles

BioTomatoFebruary 12, 2012

Last year i planted a couple thai chile plants and ended up with bareky enough for a couple meals because of the birds. how do you keep them away?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esox07

bird netting is one option. If you have a lot of plants spread out, it makes it tough though.
Bruce

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 7:40PM
skycopp(Maryland -7a)

I read about this problem somewhere and I saw that one of the suggestions was to hang a bunch of cd's in the area. Apparently light bouncing off of them seems to frighten birds.
I haven't tried this so some other expert will have to chime in.

One thing I can tell you that does work is that I built a cube using 3/4 inch pvc that was about 4x8 and 4 feet tall. I covered the whole thing with bird netting, placed over my pepper plants in their little containers, and they kept the birds off all year.

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 8:40PM
Jsschrstrcks(9)

So far, I haven't had any problems here in FL with Birds... My gram was always feeding birds (I own her property now), and so there are plenty around... I guess just none that are used to having hot peppers in their diet...

Heres to hoping it stays that way.

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 11:44PM
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

Get a cat or a plastic owl

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 2:17AM
habjolokia

I only had problems with birds when I grew Kung Pao, when only growing Ghost chili's no problems with birds. I am guessing the upright fruit of the Kung Pao were inviting to birds. Just wondering if you are growing varieties that grow upwards? Guess the CD, cat, or bird netting so far the best to try.

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 9:32AM
Jsschrstrcks(9)

Cats are easily atracted - at least down here... There are a number in the neighborhood... When I thought I had rats in my garage, I left a piece of bread in the garage every night for a few days... Before long, I no longer had a rat problem... Stopped feeding the cat, and I no longer have a cat problem either :P

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 11:06AM
esox07

Many cats have a thing about trashing plants. I gave my son 5 plants about 1.5 ft tall last spring and his cat destroyed two and the other three were severely wounded. I have heard many other stories of cats attacking plants. Maybe if the cat isn't enclosed in the area that the plants are growing they wont attack them but then if they are not around the plants, they cannot protect them. Be careful is all I am saying.
Bruce

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 12:29PM
noinwi

This guy isn't about to attack a decent source of shade. His(rather large)presence is enough to keep the birds at bay and he's still fast enough to catch a tasty vole once in a while.

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 5:26PM
More Discussions
Show Your Seedlings
After all that work, gathering seeds, trying to germinate,...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Need advice on how to suspend shop lights.
So I bought the below metal shelving to house seedling...
peps_22
Help for GardenWeb Users
https://support.houzz.com/hc/en-us/sections/200556848-Help-for-GardenWeb-Users...
ronnyb123
Where do you find seeds for different hot peppers?
Is there a special place to order seeds for some of...
goldilocs
Your Grow List --- 2015
It is getting closer to start the season especially...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™