what flowers do not attract bees?

quirkpod(7 Lewisville NC)March 6, 2006

I want to plant a mailbox garden that will not get the mailman stung. What flowers are not visited by bees?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I'm afraid that you're going to be disappointed with what you can grow, if colorful flowers are what you really and truly want. All those kinds of plants are insect pollinated. The grasses (there are some interesting ornamental grasses) are wind pollinated.

You'll have to think in terms of colorful foliage, ornamental grasses, or cool plants that don't flower.

Bookmark   March 6, 2006 at 4:27PM
byron(4a/5b NH)

Feverfew

Bookmark   March 9, 2006 at 7:26PM

Good job, Byron!!!! I never knew this...and will remember it as this question comes up fairly frequently. Thanks for the information!

Bookmark   March 18, 2006 at 1:16PM
botanybob(Northern Idaho)

Bees are not very aggressive when they are out foraging at flowers. I doubt they will pay any attention to the mailman. They will aggressively defend their hive, however. This is why bees don't get any mail.

Bookmark   March 30, 2006 at 4:35PM

You are correct, botanybob, but this situation, in particular, needs a bit of individual attention. One, the mail person may not appreciate having to drive up to a buzzy mailbox. Two, it is well documented that CO2 (exhaust) incites more aggressive behavior. Three, other and less benign pollinators will be attracted to said flowers. Four, mail person (s) may be fearful or allergic to insect venom.

Thus, planting a flowering vine or flower bed at the foot of the mailbox is a crummy idea, period.

Me? I spray a sugar solution on my arms just to have the bees and wasps spend a few moment with me. Have never been stung in my many years of working amongst these wonderful insects, but know when they should be not be introduced into a particular area.

Bookmark   March 30, 2006 at 10:10PM
deejaus

Bees are not attracted to red flowers, however, if they are perfumed they may find them. A lot of very ruffled double flowers are not very attractive to bees either because they can't find their way in.

So, if you can find a red, double, non-perfumed flower, you are in business!!

They are not particularly attracted to geraniums and dianthus either.

Bookmark   April 1, 2006 at 11:24PM
botanybob(Northern Idaho)

I was thinking of red flowers also. Long-tubed red flowers typically are pollinated by hummingbirds, not bees. Scarlet gilia and some of the Penstemons would be good, such as P. barbatus, P. eatonii.

Bookmark   April 6, 2006 at 4:35PM
sdbjvjskdbj_msn_com

they dont attract to tulips roses or lillys

Bookmark   March 15, 2011 at 9:46PM
More Discussions
Acacia invaded by Caterpillars!
My wife and I don't know what to do. We have a small...
llilibel03
Aphids? Spider Mite? Thrips?
About a month ago, my husband bought me this plant....
janicenco
Spots on my apple tree leaves
Hi, Spots have been appearing on my new apple trees....
nat9510
Aphid central.... At my wit's end...
Every single over-wintering pepper I have is inundated...
theripetomatofarm
Getting rid of soil nematodes
Dear veggie lovers: This is my first season growing...
diane_zn7a_albqnm_5500ft
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™