trained deer

slowpoke_gardenerJuly 31, 2014

I think it is so nice how one critter helps another. The Bumble bees have trained the deer to prune the tops of the sweet potatoes so they could find the blooms easier, now is that sweet or not?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

Larry,

That is so funny. Your bees are good animal trainers.

Yesterday I pruned back the ornamental sweet potato plants I have growing in the main veggie garden. I used them as a living mulch underneath pepper plants. It mostly has worked out great since the dense growth shades the soil and keeps the soil moist, but the plants are growing out into the pathways. I was thinking as I pruned them and carried the long branches of leaves back to the compost pile/deer feeding area that the deer were going to have a real treat...and they did.

We have a crazy high number of bumble bees this year---even more of them than the honey bees, and they aren't happy when I am picking cucumbers while they are pollinating the flowers. I'm just glad to have so many bees.

Dawn

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 12:42PM
mulberryknob

Something trained our deer too well. There are very few leaves or flowers on our sweet potato vines--after spraying them with deer repellent twice. But not after the rain we got a week ago which must have washed every trace of it away.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 4:46PM
slowpoke_gardener

Dorothy, I have good luck just stringing a hot wire along the edge of the vines. It looks like I am going string one along the sweet potatoes also. They have stopped eating my cantaloupes, melons and peas, but moved to the sweet potatoes. I hate stringing wire all over my yard, but may have to. It seems as though once they get against the hot wire a time or two, they eat some where else. I have not hooked the fence up yet, and did not last year. We may have some new deer or maybe their memory is getting like mine.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 6:20PM
More Discussions
Squash Resistant to Squash Bug and Squash Vine Borer
According to Jay White at Texas A&M University,...
chickencoupe
2015 Spring Fling Anyone?
It must be so. I've reserved a porta-potty and marked...
p_mac
Anyone ever read the Soil forum?
Hahaha, I went over to go check out how they were doing...
Lisa_H
Classic Armadillo Thread From 2005-2013
I mentioned the thread linked below in a different...
Okiedawn OK Zone 7
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™