Egg mass on fence

BC_urban_gardenerMarch 26, 2012

I think these are moth eggs of some kind; laid on a south-facing fence in Victoria. Seen on March 25. Any idea what they are?

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
IpmMan(5)

They look a bit like some kind of Lady Beetle eggs, though the ones I know are lighter coloured. Possibly Sawfly but they are not in even enough rows and not on a plant. But it could have been an interrupted lay. Rhizo will probably browse by soon to upstage me with a correct ID.

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 5:32PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Don't know who's eggs they are, but attributing them to a moth is probably a good idea. At first glance, I was thinking in terms of one of the assassin bug or leaf-footed bugs, but I have never seen them on anything but a plant.

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 10:04PM

I should have added (repeated) what IPM man commented on...insects that ordinarily lay their eggs on plants may accidentally deposit them elsewhere. If those are moth eggs, they don't stand much of a chance of survival after they hatch, nor would any other phytophagous critter. A predatory insect might have a better chance.

So, in other words, I don't have ANY idea, lol.

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 4:47AM
BC_urban_gardener

The eggs I'd scraped into a pill bottle hatched today (April 4): anyone recognize them now?

Here is a link that might be useful: Mystery caterpillars hatched from mystery eggs

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 9:12PM

Sorry, it's way too early to be able to identify the caterpillars. They will die unless they eat, so there's probably not much of a chance that we'll see them go through a couple of skin sheddings (instars).

Interesting to know that they are caterpillars and not beetles or truebugs of some sort. Sometimes, insects deposit their eggs where they shouldn't.

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 10:16PM
More Discussions
Sawdsust and Fresh Tree Wood Chips
My DH and DS built kitchen cabinets in our woodshop...
nancedar
Seedlings being cut by pest
My precious seedlings are being decapitated by an unknown...
tomatosensei
Brush cerry transplant shock HELP!
just bought this brush cherry,3 days after I got it...
halocline
Tomato disease
My tomato is under attack. It looks like both insects...
garf_gw
Sure fire way to get rid of Earwigs
I read the FAQ's for Earwigs and no mention was made...
dowlinggram
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™